• Register Today It's free!

Ticking

Beamer17

Reaction score
City, State
Traverse City, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 2dr sport
Hi i have a 93 explorer sport that ticks. Every car i have heard make this noise th engine blows up within two weeks. mine has been making the noise for awhile now. I've had it on the highway for a 4 hour drive and have made many hour trips with it while it has been makin the ticking noise. I'm about to embark on a 6 to 7 hour trip with it tomorow. Any ideas to what the ticking my be. I pulled the serpintine belt real quick and it was stil making the noise. i thougt it could eb the water pump i have heard of them making that noise. Also should i be worried about something happening if it has made it this long without blowing up. thanks--jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the ticking noise seem louder when the engine is cold, and does it do it with the truck in park? When you say you 'pulled' the serpentine belt, does that mean you took the belt off and it still made the noise? If so, then I doubt if it's the water pump. It could be a valve or lifter. How long since the last oil change, and is the oil level ok?

Could possibly be rocker arm pushrod chatter. I had a 95 that had this prob. You can get a new setup from Dead Link Removed. They also are available on Ebay startin at $106 once and a while.

What's the oil level?
Does the tick increase with RPM? With groundspeed?
Does it get louder at higher RPM; quieter?
Louder/quieter with temperature?

Gotta know more before I can take a guess at it.

The ticking gets faster with the higher rpms. The vehical is a manuel and does it regardless of if its in nuetural or in gear. When its cold out it does sound like its louder. But i have not drivin it in really warm weather the warmest i have drivin it in is 50 to low 60 degree whether. I pulled the belt all the way off and it still made the noise. Its oil level is fine. and the oil has about 1500 miles on it. After knwoing all this if anyone of u guys kno if it should be safe to make the trip please let me know i leave at 10 tonight. thanks a bunch--jeff

Best case, it could be just a loose rocker arm (assuming yours is a pushrod engine), and it will probably go a long time before the arm gets so loose it no longer opens the valve -- that's assuming it will continue to get looser, which isn't a valid assumption given the data you've supplied.

Worst case, it could be a rod bearing that's burned, meaning the tick will get louder until the bearing wears through and the rod throws, which would be sudden, disabling, and expensive.

IME, burnt rod bearings make a hollow sound more like a *tock* than a *tick*, and they're especially loud below the engine. They tend to happen after someone lets the engine run out of oil.

Thanks for all the input well it made it down to ann arbor haha tomorow we'll see if it makes it to ohio. thanks again. also is there anyway to tighten the rocker arm if that is it.

Unfortunately not possible. The pushrod wears away the rocker arm and create a space in which causes the chatter. Everything is bolted down tight and the rockers are not adjustable.

Beamer17 said:
Hi i have a 93 explorer sport that ticks. Every car i have heard make this noise th engine blows up within two weeks. mine has been making the noise for awhile now. I've had it on the highway for a 4 hour drive and have made many hour trips with it while it has been makin the ticking noise. I'm about to embark on a 6 to 7 hour trip with it tomorow. Any ideas to what the ticking my be. I pulled the serpintine belt real quick and it was stil making the noise. i thougt it could eb the water pump i have heard of them making that noise. Also should i be worried about something happening if it has made it this long without blowing up. thanks--jeff

It's the tappets. Mine have been doing that for the past 5 years or so and this year they began doing it even when hot. Depending on the truck's mileage, prolly better to wait til it blows up and get a used or rebuilt engine. No biggie, just eventually it will beat the valve train into submission. Just keep your AAA card handy and see how long you can keep it going.

If it is a lifter sticking in the compressed position, a quart of Rislone run through the crankcase can work wonders. Just before a long drive is a good time to do it, so the heat works with it all throughout the engine.

msmith65 said:
If it is a lifter sticking in the compressed position, a quart of Rislone run through the crankcase can work wonders. Just before a long drive is a good time to do it, so the heat works with it all throughout the engine.

Mine are probably seized up pretty good - tried Rislone recently but no help with the noise. Probably should have done it 5 years ago. So, anybody whoses lifters are just beginning to get noisy should try it, it very well could help.

Back