tie in lights to fogs light wiring? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tie in lights to fogs light wiring?

Hypothetically speaking,

IF I were to splice a pair of 55w lights in to the wiring for the fog lamps what should be upgraded/added? Higher amp fuse and relay? Heavier gauge wiring? A secondary switch so that the aux lights aren't on all the time?

This though just ran through my head and I'm thinking of doing it if at all possible. :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Splice into the wiring so that you retain the stock foglights and also add aux. lights?
Or, use the stock wiring to add lights and not use stock foglights?

I would still like to use the fog lights because I run them all the time for better vision at night. And I was thinking that if I added a secondary switch to the aux lights then I can turn them on when needed rather than them being on constantly.

OK, I understand what your getting at now.
You could wire them using a relay so that they will come on with your existing foglights. Tie the relay to the foglight circuit so that when the foglights come on, it triggers the relay to turn the added lights on.

OR, you could wire them with a switch and relay so that they will only come on with the foglights, but only when you want them to. Same deal as above, but put a switch between the foglight tie-in and the relay. When you flip the switch, the added lights won't turn on until the foglights come one, triggering the relay.

OR, you could wire them with their own circuit that would only come on when you want to, with switch and relay.

Edit: thought I would add more relative info:
Either way, a relay and appropriate in-line fuse is mandatory. Using a relay you will be able to use alot cheaper switch because the amperage draw will not be very high to the relay. The high amp draw will be from the relay to the lights.

Perfect. Looks like I have a project for next weekend!!

Thanks!

Your welcome.
Just remember that the only thing tied into the existing wiring would be the trigger wire for the relay and not any other lights. The trigger side is very low amp draw so it should not have any effect on the stock wiring.
Good Luck

I just added a stronger set of bulbs to the factory housings and a few people on here acted like it would burn my Mounty down. Because I had to go up to a 20a fuse from a 10a. But I later put in a 15a and it held. I would feel that if that was a big deal the 2nd set of lights would put even more of a strain on the factory wire. So not sure. But on the other hand mine are fine and I love them. You may try to look into just a stronger set of bulbs in yours. Here is the link to my other thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274173
STU

I just added a stronger set of bulbs to the factory housings and a few people on here acted like it would burn my Mounty down. Because I had to go up to a 20a fuse from a 10a. But I later put in a 15a and it held. I would feel that if that was a big deal the 2nd set of lights would put even more of a strain on the factory wire. So not sure. But on the other hand mine are fine and I love them. You may try to look into just a stronger set of bulbs in yours. Here is the link to my other thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274173
STU

^:thumbdwn:^

Just put in a relay for any additional lights and you will be fine.

As stu said he is not sure. I am sure. Use the relay and you will not overload your wires as stu has done by putting in high watt bulbs in a circut not designed for them.

Where could you put a relay that would not overload the system. If he has both on at the same time it is overloaded period. Oh and if the aftermarket lights are higher watt then with just them on it would be overloaded right?

If you were to tap into the wire that runs down to the existing (stock) foglights, and used that as a trigger wire, as described earlier, you will not have any issues.
You would have to run another wire for power to the added lights, and run that from battery to in-line fuse to relay. That wire would take the brunt of the amperage draw, the wire attached to the existing foglights would only trigger the relay to turn on the new "add-on" lights. No amp draw from the relay on the existing wiring at all. This is the only safe way to do it.

PS: if my paint skills were better than they are, I would draw it up for you, but I suck at it.

Damn, my little brain storm idea seems to be more trouble than running dedicated wiring for aux lights. I should stop thinking so much lol

Where could you put a relay that would not overload the system. If he has both on at the same time it is overloaded period. Oh and if the aftermarket lights are higher watt then with just them on it would be overloaded right?

OK, first, No laughing, I warned you my paint skills were horrible. Heres proof LMFAO. My apologies if I went too simple on this, I am not trying to be that way.

picture.php

Now, Let me explain....(also, not pictured here is an in-line fuse that goes inbetween the battery and the relay)

The Black square is the existing foglight
The light blue is the add-on light
The red box is the relay
The green box is the battery
The black lines are the ground wires
The magenta line is the existing (stock) positive lead to the existing foglight. We have tapped into this line to add the gray line.
The gray line is the "trigger" to turn the relay on/off with the activation of the existing foglight
The blue wires are positive from the battery to the relay, and when the relay is triggered, it would be "hot" to the add-on light.
The relay acts as a switch.
There would not be additional load placed upon the existing wiring to the existing foglight as it would only trigger the relay on and off, thus not creating a fire hazard.

Ok kiddos I've got all the pieces I need in hand and will be taking this project on all by myself this weekend. Ill post pics of the finished product. Thanks again for all the input guys!

So I ended up going to the Parking Lights instead of the Fog Lights. This is the first time I've ever done a project this involved on my ex. Thanks to the mountains of information and help, the work was simple just VERY time consuming. Next time it shouldn't take quite as long....hopefully! Well here it is all said and done. Just need to wrap the exposed wires behind the lights with split tubing.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213524&page=6 (post# 240)

:thumbsup:Reply on other thread .:thumbsup:

Back