Tie Rods Recommendations for 91 4x4 XL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tie Rods Recommendations for 91 4x4 XL

FarmageddonNRO

Reaction score
City, State
Anaconda MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
I have a 91 Explorer with 165k on it, that I have been really digging into and fixing up. I love the truck, I plan on keeping it for a long time so I want to put quality parts on it. I just ordered Moog Ball Joints, but I also want to put some decent tie rods on it. I see Moog makes tie rods, are they what I want to put on? I will be using it for light off road, heavy snow driving, etc. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moog, Spicer Pro Grade, or Raybestos Pro Grade are all I would use... pretty sure they are all owned by Raybestos now anyways. Motorcraft should be good to go as well.

I learned my lesson a long time ago.. suspensions, brakes, and steering do not get parts store chicom crap.

I had no luck at all with Moog (I could've gotten 3× as many chicom crap joints as what I paid for those POS Moogs).
Spicer (Raybestos) Professional Grade stuff is excellent though (9 years running on my Ranger). I switched my BII over to the Raybestos Pro Grades a bit over a year ago. So far so good.

Rockauto.com has the Raybestos (pt# 505-1145 (lower) and #500-1066 (upper)).

I've heard a particular one of Napa's joints are the same as the Spicer/Raybestos (don't know the pt# offhand... You'll know them by their bright gold-colored body and almost-stainless-steel-looking stud (if it's all grayish colored, then run away).

Thanks much for the heads up! I'll look into it, gonna be ordering these this week. I have read through so many forum's on this stuff, it's really a pain in that ass to make a decision, I have heard everything under the sun about all the stuff on the market. I guess it's a crap shoot.

I didn't have any trouble with the MOOG.
You have a lot going on with that truck I guess. I saw your other post about the lift. BTW, check this out for your lift.

it sometimes think that people who completely bash companies like Moog, or any other company that has been around for a long time making quality products might be overlooking other problems with their trucks. I'll see a thread with 9 thumbs up on something and then theirs the one guy that was like "They failed right away" Well, it's safe to say that are much bigger problems with the rig if something failed that quick.

I'll see a thread with 9 thumbs up on something and then theirs the one guy that was like "They failed right away" Well, it's safe to say that are much bigger problems with the rig if something failed that quick.

Or the nimrod put it on wrong, failed to bolt it down, didn't grease it (if required), and all the other variables possible.

Or the nimrod put it on wrong, failed to bolt it down, didn't grease it (if required), and all the other variables possible.

2nd that

it sometimes think that people who completely bash companies like Moog, or any other company that has been around for a long time making quality products might be overlooking other problems with their trucks. I'll see a thread with 9 thumbs up on something and then theirs the one guy that was like "They failed right away" Well, it's safe to say that are much bigger problems with the rig if something failed that quick.

Ok then... how about you both please explain to me why Moog joints had issues where every other one of a different brand has never had a problem even under the exact same care and driving conditions??

How about stopping and thinking for a bit that the possibility is there that not every company's product is the same or that maybe the quality of what was once a great product took a recent turn for the worse before you start calling people names and just assuming oh there's something wrong with my rig or that I don't know how to install and grease a damn balljoint. :rolleyes:

Go ahead and waste your $$$ on the Moogs then... I'm not the only one who's had issues with them. Don't come back saying you weren't warned...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268420

Ok then... how about you both please explain to me why Moog joints had issues where every other one of a different brand has never had a problem even under the exact same care and driving conditions??

How about stopping and thinking for a bit that the possibility is there that not every company's product is the same or that maybe the quality of what was once a great product took a recent turn for the worse before you start calling people names and just assuming oh there's something wrong with my rig or that I don't know how to install and grease a damn balljoint. :rolleyes:

Go ahead and waste your $$$ on the Moogs then... I'm not the only one who's had issues with them. Don't come back saying you weren't warned...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268420

Well I for one am not one to go on here bashing people. My comment was not towards you. It was a generalized statement.

I read the thread link you posted and I saw 2 maybe 3 complaints about MOOG stuff.... and most were on the fence about it.

Now here again is another "generalized statement" cheaper ball joints with lift systems and bigger tires are going to destroy faster. And honestly I haven't seen a Ford TTB system like any type of aftermarket ball joints. If your truck is lifted w/ bigger tires this was NOT directed towards you.

im with cribb, most complaints made are generalized stereotype complaints, and what i said agreed with Cribb was not pointed at you to begin with either it was in the generalization that people sometimes do not install items right or have other underlying issues...

****e for the fact, ive been one of them... complained about a part just to find out i did it wrong.... once i fixed it i liked it.

liking a product is like which oil to choose, everyone is going to have an opinion on what they like and dont like

ive heard ****e about all brands, each brand has one to three or four people who dont like it while the same like it and appraise it

I'm doing shopping comparison on ball joints now. I actually just noticed that McQuarry-Norris and Raybestos Pro often use the same image for products on their respective websites. So, I guess one can assume they are repackaged versions of each other. Raybestos Pro is less expensive by $15-20. I'm buying those.

The Raybestos Pro Ball joints also look just like the Spicer ball joints we used to run. It looked different than the mcquary norris extreme ball joint.

I also will not run the Moog ball joints (or cheap house brand ones from the auto parts store). They just don't last for us.

I know our X isn't stock and we do wheeling with it but since the Spicer (which we have run for a while) and Mcquay norris (had one of their lowers) have lasted where the Moog haven't I won't use Moog, even on a street driven vehicle.

If the moog was cheaper, in theory, I could save some money by buying moog, but I'd rather the ball joints last.

For Tie rods, I am still running Moog though. Not for the strength or longevity, but because of their bend. The bends for the center link/drag link etc works really well with the lifted truck. I haven't looked at many other brands, but when I looked at my other options (locally) they didn't have the bend the way I liked it (was going to hit things).

~Mark

I use Moog tire rods and Moog Ball Joints, but I didnt know about the ball joint issue till after they were installed.. ive been running on moog ball joints now for 2 years, havent really had a problem... though i paid the extra through a moog dealer for life time replacements.

Well I for one am not one to go on here bashing people. My comment was not towards you. It was a generalized statement.

I read the thread link you posted and I saw 2 maybe 3 complaints about MOOG stuff.... and most were on the fence about it.

Now here again is another "generalized statement" cheaper ball joints with lift systems and bigger tires are going to destroy faster. And honestly I haven't seen a Ford TTB system like any type of aftermarket ball joints. If your truck is lifted w/ bigger tires this was NOT directed towards you.

Well since I happened to be the first one to mention something negative about Moog in this post, and your comment is in direct response to FarmageddonNRO's "the one guy who says" comment, it should be pretty obvious where I was coming from. If thats not the case, then I apologize.

Just a little background...
I've been wrenching on RBVs as well as other vehicles for more a little more than 20 years now. I've been through a pretty good number of balljoints to have some idea of what is quality and what fails right away. All the Spicer joints I've had before and after my Moog purchases have had no issue (the ungreasable OE joints excepted), so it isn't like I switched over and suddenly everything was hunky-dory... I try to stick with what works. The only reason I wound up with Moogs was I couldn't get what I knew were Spicers at the store I was in anymore (I now buy them mail-order/online, which has the added benefit of being cheaper too).

And FWIW, my trucks do have larger tires, however that doesn't change the fact one brand of balljoint lasts for years & years no problem, and another becomes sloppy after 8,000 miles. Clearly there is a quality difference between them.

Anyway, I've said my part here, so I'll back out now. :chug:

I understand the distaste for having parts like this fail seeing as the ball joints aren't exactly an easy part to replace(by this I mean not like some other parts that take a few minutes to replace as it is more of an involved process.)

I'd like to say it is not my nature to talk smack to people I don't know, as I'm much more mature than that.

Again IF I OFFENDED YOU I apologize again. Thanks for the insight on your experience with the brand of ball joints in question. It is dully noted.

I'm debating on replacing mine when I do the shocks and tie rod assemblies since everything is 20 years old. I was looking at this set but have questions about the brand and quality: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUSPENSION-...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr anyone please feel free to enlighten me if this is junk or a decent deal as the packaged set implies. I understand buying stuff on ebay can be a crap shoot. Mine is 2wd and obviously won't be beating mine on the trail. My ball joint boots are in incredible shape compared to the tie rod/ drag link boots.

I did just now message the seller to ask about brand name of the parts if any.

I got a reply from the seller he says and I quote:

Hello,
We sell "O.E Brand", "MAS" and "DLZ" brands. They are made in China and have a one year warranty. Thank you, World Suspension

I am not familiar with any of this... so any light shed on the subject is very helpful.

Back