Tie rods scraping body panel underneath feet after Bilstein shock upgrade. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tie rods scraping body panel underneath feet after Bilstein shock upgrade.

brukshut

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 V6
Proud inheritor of 98 Explorer XLT 4x4 V6 pushrod. Just had the shocks replaced with a nice set of Bilstein Heavy Duties. An absolutely amazing upgrade ($275 for all four from shockwarehouse), it got rid of sag in rear end and actually ended up lifting the truck perhaps a half of an inch or so. This brings me to the issue.

After the upgrade, I've noticed that when turning left from a stop or moving very slowly, I can hear slight metal-on-metal scraping noise on the bottom of the panel at my feet (in front of pedals). Note, steering is not affected at all. However, I'm obviously concerned about this. So a few quick questions:

1.) I think it's a tie-rod issue. It's definitely something mechanical making contact (and not grinding gears), scraping across the body panel during tight turns at slow speeds. IMHO, the shocks raised the front end enough to change the toe-in angle of the tie-rods, enough so that they are now at an angle to make contact with the panel. When the truck is moving, it's not an issue.

Anyone experience this? Should I just go ahead and change the tie-rods anyhow? Anything else might be causing this?

2.) Also, I've read that you have to adjust the torsion bar tension (reduce it) in the front after new shocks which change stock ride. Should I do this and am I at risk of front end damage if torsion tension is too high?

Thanks for all answers in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Well I could take it to a mechanic, but that's why I'm on this forum. Changing tie-rods is trivial. Yes you should take it to get aligned after tie-rods are changed.

What I'm asking here, is whether or not my diagnosis sounds correct and if anyone has experienced something like this. Thanks.

There really isnt anything for them to rub on. :dunno: Maybe im wrong as i havent owned a 2nd gen in quite some time... but the tie rods run down from the steering rack to the knuckles in front of the lower control arms- there's really nothing close by that they could hit.

One easy way to figure it out- with the truck idling (in park, E brake on) have a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth to duplicate the noise while you locate it.

James, thanks for response (and thanks for welcomes from all, great site). The only reason I suggest it's related to tie-rods is because that's the only part I believe could be causing issues.

It also has occurred to me that it could be something else, like a piece of debris. I lost the inside fender liner (not the inner fender plastic liner that attaches to the top of the wheelwell, but the felt-like fabric liner that hangs from it) some time back on this side of the truck. I'll have a look this weekend, if it's debris of some sort I'll be pretty embarrassed.

Will keep you posted, thanks all.

Everyone, thanks for response, this was a bit baffling. I'm not entirely sure what the issue was. Over the weekend, I replaced both plastic fender liners in my 1998 XLT V6. After the replacement, the scraping noise went away. I can only assume one or two things. Note, these plastic liners almost contact the floor panel beneath the drivers side seat (where I heard the scraping). Removing the liners, I was able to see that there was very little beneath this panel that could be causing the noise, there is no connective linkage whatsoever.

Now, on the top of the fender liners are some wire guides used to route a few components under the hood. It's possible that when installing the shocks, that some of these wires were moved under the floor panel, resulting in scraping noise during turns at sharp angles.

Either that, or a piece of debris was caught up between the plastic panel and floor panel (after my splash liners ripped out).

Anyway, problem seems to be resolved. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help and responses from everyone, great site.

Back