Tilt Mirror Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tilt Mirror Question

Lambed3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I just picked up my 2011 Explorer Limited with 301A included last week and love it. It is a lot bigger than the sedan I am used to driving so the backup camera is a big help. One other thing that would be very helpful would be for the passenger mirror to automatically tilt down to the ground to make sure I do not hit anything on the side of the car. Does anyone know if it is possible to program the mirrors to tilt down on reverse and back to normal when in park or drive? My brother said he was able to program this feature in his Audi as it was not a standard setup for the car so I am hopeful that I will be able to do the same.

It could be a feature in the car already but not one that I am aware of given all of the features and technology in the car. I am still learning!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up my 2011 Explorer Limited with 301A included last week and love it. It is a lot bigger than the sedan I am used to driving so the backup camera is a big help. One other thing that would be very helpful would be for the passenger mirror to automatically tilt down to the ground to make sure I do not hit anything on the side of the car. Does anyone know if it is possible to program the mirrors to tilt down on reverse and back to normal when in park or drive? My brother said he was able to program this feature in his Audi as it was not a standard setup for the car so I am hopeful that I will be able to do the same.

It could be a feature in the car already but not one that I am aware of given all of the features and technology in the car. I am still learning!
I don't believe it is possible to have it tilt. For me the perfect solution is a very cheap one. On all the vehicles I've owned, the first thing I do is buy those small 2" convex stick-on mirrors. I place one on the bottom left corner of the driver's mirror and one on the bottom right corner of the passenger side. With those in place you can actually see the rear wheels.
Congrats on your new Ex and welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

I don't believe it is possible to have it tilt. For me the perfect solution is a very cheap one. On all the vehicles I've owned, the first thing I do is buy those small 2" convex stick-on mirrors. I place one on the bottom left corner of the driver's mirror and one on the bottom right corner of the passenger side. With those in place you can actually see the rear wheels.
Congrats on your new Ex and welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

Thanks for the quick response. I just came up with a solution using the program buttons in the car. Button 1 is normal setup for driving and button 2 lowers the passenger mirror to the ground but keeps all the other settings the same. It is not my ideal solution but it is definitely better than manually lowering the mirror each time I put the car in reverse. I really wanted this to work based on the gear the car was in.

Those small convex mirrors are a cool idea but I got the BLIS option with my car so I don't need them for blindspots although I am sure they would help with the curbs.

My brother actually programmed this feature in his car by plugging a USB stick into the car and uploading a program or code or something to that effect. Maybe in time that will be an option for the Explorer.

Thanks for the quick response. I just came up with a solution using the program buttons in the car. Button 1 is normal setup for driving and button 2 lowers the passenger mirror to the ground but keeps all the other settings the same. It is not my ideal solution but it is definitely better than manually lowering the mirror each time I put the car in reverse. I really wanted this to work based on the gear the car was in.

Those small convex mirrors are a cool idea but I got the BLIS option with my car so I don't need them for blindspots although I am sure they would help with the curbs.
I also have the BLIS but use the convex mirrors more for parking. With the lower profile 20" wheels, you are more apt to scrape the wheel on the curb than the tire. Enjoy your EX.

It has been a year now since I got my Explorer and still would like the auto tilt feature for reverse. Does anyone know if that can be made to happen somehow?

I use the preset program buttons now to do it but that means I need to put the car in park before I put it in reverse and that is kind of annoying considering I back into my garage or parking spots on a daily basis. I need the mirror tilted to avoid hitting curbs, structures and to make sure I leave enough space on that side of the car for the moron who parks next to me and opens his door as wide as possible without any thought for the car next to him.

If anyone figured this out, I would love to know how to make it work.

It has been a year now since I got my Explorer and still would like the auto tilt feature for reverse. Does anyone know if that can be made to happen somehow?

I use the preset program buttons now to do it but that means I need to put the car in park before I put it in reverse and that is kind of annoying considering I back into my garage or parking spots on a daily basis. I need the mirror tilted to avoid hitting curbs, structures and to make sure I leave enough space on that side of the car for the moron who parks next to me and opens his door as wide as possible without any thought for the car next to him.

I doubt what you are looking for is available for the Explorer. Although I have the BLIS and Active Park Assist features, I still bought and stuck on the small 2" convex mirrors. It is the first thing I've added to all the vehicles I've owned. They eliminate the blind spot and allow you to see the rear wheels as well for parking along curbs. They were $3.95 ea.

Peter

Attachments

• PB080258a.jpg
    PB080258a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 695

The explorer does not have that feature.

I also put on the small 2" convex mirrors. They're great for seeing tires, curbs and parking stripes. Make sure you mount them on the lower outside of mirrors
for best viewing. See picture in above post.

I think I'll look into the convex mirrors too, although the backup camera is so good I'm not sure they'd add much. It's a shame they didn't think of an auto-tilt feature though - my Saab 9-5 had this twelve years ago ...

I think I'll look into the convex mirrors too, although the backup camera is so good I'm not sure they'd add much. It's a shame they didn't think of an auto-tilt feature though - my Saab 9-5 had this twelve years ago ...

Agreed, this one feature I miss greatly coming from my Infiniti M to the Ex.

How do you enable tilt down on side view mirrors when shift to reverse?

Can this be done at the dealer or is there a way to turn this feature on?
Is a neat feature I have on my '08 Jeep that I would like to enable if possible on the Ex.
Did a couple of searches about it, but nothing came up.
Thanks in advance.

The explorer doesn't have this feature. Sorry

The explorer doesn't have this feature. Sorry
The jeep didn't have that feature either and someone found it on the StarScan tool they use at the dealer and there was the option to turn it on. Was hoping the same was possible with the Explorers.
Thanks!

I have that feature on my Bimmer, I too wish we had it on the Ex.

If you have memory seats, a workaround is to set one of the memory seats to the same as your seat position, but with the mirrors tilted down and in.

I think more manufacturers don't bother with this (though they should) is because so many people don't have their mirrors set correctly to start with. Seems like every time I drive a friends car, before I adjust the seat, half the mirror is taken up by a view of the rear quarter panels. You shouldn't see the car in your mirrors, people!

If you have memory seats, a workaround is to set one of the memory seats to the same as your seat position, but with the mirrors tilted down and in.

I think more manufacturers don't bother with this (though they should) is because so many people don't have their mirrors set correctly to start with. Seems like every time I drive a friends car, before I adjust the seat, half the mirror is taken up by a view of the rear quarter panels. You shouldn't see the car in your mirrors, people!

If you are going to go through all this, you could just as easily manually tilt it down... Point being was doing it automatically when in reverse...

My Audi's and BMW's did this...

A work around was to put those 2inch small round mirrors on my door mirrors, now I can see the ground... Not great, but a little better...

If you are going to go through all this, you could just as easily manually tilt it down... Point being was doing it automatically when in reverse...

My Audi's and BMW's did this...

A work around was to put those 2inch small round mirrors on my door mirrors, now I can see the ground... Not great, but a little better...

Yes, they should do this, but the memory seat option is another workaround. It adjusts both mirrors at the same time, and gives you a larger view of the rear tires.

everything can be done by Ford by changing BCM software... but I doubt Ford will do it.
I would love to have auto-folding feature in "P" position as well...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The auto fold has been mentioned a few time but some like myself wouldn't want it since it would put a lot of work on the mirror motor. I would go for it if they included an option to turn that OFF. In the 3 years I had my Limited, I think I only folded the mirrors perhaps 4 times.

Peter

Back