Time for a new water pump?

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Ok, so the other day I spotted a leak coming from under my x. I looked under the hood and did not see anything leaking. I looked under the truck and saw fluid coming from a hose that runs from the water pump to the heater core. I replaced the hose and test drove the truck. It didn't leak. I parked it until last night when I drove it to work, once again it started leaking. Looks like the coolant was coming from the same hose. The clamp on the hose is tight. Don't know what else it could be. Time for a new water pump? Oh yeah no over heating issues, yet.

There is a little "weep" hole under the shaft on the water pump. If your pump is going bad just due to age and wear and tear, this is the most likely place for the pump to start leaking from.

It's fairly common for the heater hoses to leak at the connection to the heater core. Usually it's because theres not enough force in the factory clamps anymore. You'll probably need to use an adjustable screw-type hose clamp. New hoses and new clamps that are both the right size usually solve leaky hose issues.

For the water pump, it would either be squeaking/chirping/wobbling if the bearing was going, or leaking from the weep hole as mentioned.

Something to check may be the thermostat..if it's not fully open at operating temp, it can cause additional pressure in the system that causes leaks at any weak points. It's also a good idea to run the heat at full blast every once in awhile too, just to keep the heater core coolant flowing.

Back