Time for a Tune-up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for a Tune-up?

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited
Hello everyone I have a question about my Explorer. I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Limited V8 2wd and I'm wondering if I need a tune-up or not. The reason I bring this up is because I'm getting really bad gas mileage right now (12.9 non-lead foot and heater use here and there) in city and I use to average (15.8 with a lead foot:rolleyes:).

When I bought my Explorer, it had 96,x.. miles on the clock and now it has 138,836 and I read around the forums that a key source to bad gas mileage is a bad oxygen sensor and old or fouled spark plugs. I need advice on what is the full list a tune-up consists of and how much on average does it cost.

One other thing I have noticed is that my Explorer will have this vibration when at a stop light idling and this has been happening since 2009. I am wonder will a full tune-up fix my problems or not.

My truck has been very good to me since I bought it in 2006. The only problem I had (except from normal wear and tear) that was frustrating was a coolant leak by the fan area and I found out it was a old heater hose that was cracked.

Any help would be appreciated;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plugs, Wires, Fuel and Air Filter, Oil change and filter, MAF cleaned, seafoam or some sort of fuel injector cleaner. I'm sure theres plenty more I'm leaving out.

A quick search should help you loads. :)

change all your oils and check all your wheel bearing and such, figure out any squeeks (squeeks = power loss)

you should change the axle oil's trans fluid, transfer case fluid and replace with synthetic this should help if you had any lubrication breakdown

possible you have a bed bearing causing drag give those a spin my hand and see if you feel any grinding

check your driveshaft joints

and of course plugs wires, maybe up to a K&N air filter or intake of you have a few bucks, on my truck just the filter alone made a huge improvement, but I mainly bought it because filters were a pain to find

check your tires, 32-45lbs check the tread, maybe get an alignment

change all your oils and check all your wheel bearing and such, figure out any squeeks (squeeks = power loss)

you should change the axle oil's trans fluid, transfer case fluid and replace with synthetic this should help if you had any lubrication breakdown

possible you have a bed bearing causing drag give those a spin my hand and see if you feel any grinding

check your driveshaft joints

and of course plugs wires, maybe up to a K&N air filter or intake of you have a few bucks, on my truck just the filter alone made a huge improvement, but I mainly bought it because filters were a pain to find

check your tires, 32-45lbs check the tread, maybe get an alignment

Thanks for the help guys, but I thought only 2wd and awd had transfer cases:eek: I got a tranny and rear diff flush and change about a year or so ago.

I checked my tires and have them at 35 psi all around and I really can't check the tire tread very well because I have brand new tires all around. I'm running Michelin LTX M/S 265/70 R16. I do hear some squeeks from the back of my truck when I slowly go over a speed bump and I know its not the shocks because I just put them on in March 2009. That squeeking noise only happens when I leave for school here and there. Maybe I need new bushings?

I will take the advice on a front end alignment tho. I do have a K&N drop in air filter and its been a dream to have it instead of the standard toss away air filter. So obviously its time for a tune-up. I will stay away from the bosch spark plugs since I read and heard explorer's and bosch do not mix except for the bosch wiper blades;).

So, what price do you guys think will be reasonable price for a tune-up? $200 to $300? I am really thinking about getting a Sct tune chip and device since it seems a lot of people on these forums have one and to see how much of a difference I can get out of a stock truck.

a full tune up should be around $100

you really only need to clean your K&N and change the plugs and wires

the rear bushings wont effect mileage

pull your air box and tube and clean it all out and the MAF, but I cant imagine its all that bad

my mileage has gone down recently too, but I think mine is related to that EGR code I have

Back