• Register Today It's free!

Time for new tires

Maverick73

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT
Alright, before anyone tells me that there is multiple threads on this subject already, I know this.

I'm going to be getting a set of new tires soon. I've got a '99 Explorer XLT, currently running Goodyear Wrangler Radials in the factory 235/75/15 size. I'm not very impressed with the wear on these tires, they are supposed to be a 50,000 mile tire, I have about 20,000 on them now, and you can realy tell they are worn. I do tow with this truck on occasion so I thought I would go larger on the tires this time around a little more height would probably be a good thing when towing. After looking at a number of threads on the subject on here. It seems the concensus is that 31x10.5x15 or 265/75/15 is the largest you can go on a factory Explorer without having to trim anything or have a rubbing issue. All I need to know is if this is correct, also what specific brands and models of tires should I look into. This truck is driven daily to work and so forth, so I need something good on the pavement and rain, as it will not see much off road use.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was very impressed with the Bridgestone Alenza H/L's that I had prior to replacing them with a bit more aggressive tread.

I would recommend at least looking at them, if you are not going to do much off-road driving.

The tire sizes are correct you listed. I had a very very small rub with my 31's but they weren't stock wheels so i think that's why. I only had to trim a half inch on the very inside of the big plastic flare. As far brand or models, I can't help there. I live where it snows and I do offroading so I only know ATs.

You may have purchased already, but I have done very well with the Michelin M/S tires, I have got up to 50,000 miles on each set with very even wear and could have probably gone further, but replaced right before vacation each time.

Quiet, great wet traction, and I think it helps the gas mileage especially on long trips which seem to be the only kind of trips that we make on the highway anymore.

You may have purchased already, but I have done very well with the Michelin M/S tires, I have got up to 50,000 miles on each set with very even wear and could have probably gone further, but replaced right before vacation each time.

Quiet, great wet traction, and I think it helps the gas mileage especially on long trips which seem to be the only kind of trips that we make on the highway anymore.

Those are the best tires you can get for the explorer. A bit pricey, but excellent quality and overall performance.

do you want a larger tire just for appearance, a larger tire really wont help much with towing, actually only put more stress on the rear and transmission especially when towing. and take measurements with your normal trailer attached to make sure you can clear the larger tires with the rear end being pulled down a little. I had the cooper discoverer HT's on my ex before i swapped for a set of AT's i had about 25,000 miles on em and they still have 80% tread.

I do tow with this truck on occasion so I thought I would go larger on the tires this time around a little more height would probably be a good thing when towing.

The tires size or height is not what determins it's load.

Get the correct load rating for your vehicle, size doesn't matter per say.
Actually a taller tire may sway more under load.

My .02 - stay with the factory recommended size, make sure they are load reated correctly for your vehicle.

i was hoping your asking at a/t tires, becuase i need help there.i have also heard that 31x10.5 fit but im not sure on that becuase i havent tried.the Michelin M/S tires is what i have on my truck and the need to be replaced and still do good in the rain, they just suck for me beacuse i live in the sticks where the dont do a good job plowing snow.

Back