• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

tgeary82

Reaction score
City, State
Beverly
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I need to get new tires for my XLT. I live in New England. Not driving much now due to COVID, but used to drive 50-80 mi. per day commuting to work. Suggestions? Don't pull trailer, no off-roading.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one. There should be some good info in this thread. As for me, I use dedicated Winter tires when the season rolls around (getting them on tomorrow) and find that it makes a big difference in Winter type weather. There are also All Weather tires now that can be used all year round, unlike the so-called all-seasons.

Peter

MM07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
I need to get new tires for my XLT. I live in New England. Not driving much now due to COVID, but used to drive 50-80 mi. per day commuting to work. Suggestions? Don't pull trailer, no off-roading.

As a fellow MA resident, I have decided to get Michelin Defenders. Haven’t gotten them yet, but will soon.

This week has been busy. Maybe next week.

MM07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
Getting my Michelin Defenders on Wednesday.

balajibv

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer 4WD LTD
Im from Florida. Once a year we drive north to Wisconsin during January.

Im looking at
1. Bridgestone Blizzak DMV2
2. Yokohama Geolandar G055
3. Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring

I have had good experience with Yokohama with my previous cars.

Any inputs/experiences shared is highly appreciated.

2016 Explorer Limited 4WD

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base

Im looking at

Blizzak are only for winter.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

Im looking at

I just had my DM-V2 tires installed again for Winter. Very happy with them. Had Yokohama Spec-X on my 2011 and they were great. One thing you can do is check actual customer reviews on a site like Tire Rack.

Peter

Satz

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT 302A
Got them done this morning. Very happy, smooth and quiet ride.
I need tires the kumono crugen i had lasted only 30 k. but i did some suspension issues as i hit 177k so maybe that contributed to it.
so let us know how it is in the new England area.

Toddman41

Reaction score
City, State
Herculaneum, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019, Explorer Limited
Getting my Michelin Defenders on Wednesday.
Did your limited come with Hankooks? Mine has the Ventus Noble 2, 255/50R20, with 29k miles and the tread still looks great. Are the Michelin all season, and what was the cost installed if yah don't mind? I have Michelin Latitude on my Equinox, they kinda suck in the rain. Not worried about snow as we don't get much in Missouri, plus I only drive this on the weekends. Its not my daily driver. 16053113871989107446073272082012.jpg

MM07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
Did your limited come with Hankooks? Mine has the Ventus Noble 2, 255/50R20, with 29k miles and the tread still looks great. Are the Michelin all season, and what was the cost installed if yah don't mind? I have Michelin Latitude on my Equinox, they kinda suck in the rain. Not worried about snow as we don't get much in Missouri, plus I only drive this on the weekends. Its not my daily driver.View attachment 324169

It did come with them. My Hankooks were between 5 and 6 mm. But the sides were way worn down.

I had a pic of when I got the EXP and from a little bit ago and the difference was a lot.

On my 16 EXP I replaced the Hankooks at almost the same mileage. They aren't made to last forever.

With winter coming here I wanted to be ready so I just got new tires. I did feel some slipping on wet pavement with the Hankooks.

I am very happy with the Defenders.