Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gsueagle2424

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
I live in south Georgia so I have no need for winter tires. My 11 limited has almost 50k on the clock and I am in need to replace the Optimos soon. My questions is, what everyday mall crawler/long trip tires do you guys recommended? The OEM replacement hankook Optimo (spelling?) Tires seem to rum around $170ish on tire rack the Bridge stone Dueler Alenza are around $200 the pirelli scorpion around $240 and Michelin latitude around $300. are the Michelin tires really that much better? what have you guys used in what seems to ride well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At about the 55,000 mile mark I replaced the Hankooks with the Alenzas.

Look into the Yokos.

The Michelin Lattitude HPs that came stock (18 ") are wearing very, very well at 32,000 miles, mixed driving. I've also had the Bridgestones on another vehicle, and had good wear out of them.

Personally, I think the Michelins are worth the extra $$.

My top 3 choices for you from lowest price to highest price.

1. Firestone Destination ST

2. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

3. Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season

I've heard nothing but great things about the scorpions, all from pickup drivers though. Not sure about ride quality, but wear is extremely good.

I live in south Georgia so I have no need for winter tires. My 11 limited has almost 50k on the clock and I am in need to replace the Optimos soon. My questions is, what everyday mall crawler/long trip tires do you guys recommended? The OEM replacement hankook Optimo (spelling?) Tires seem to rum around $170ish on tire rack the Bridge stone Dueler Alenza are around $200 the pirelli scorpion around $240 and Michelin latitude around $300. are the Michelin tires really that much better? what have you guys used in what seems to ride well?
I replaced my OEM Hankooks with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X the day I picked it up. Tire Rack has them at $198 each and according to that site they are rated 8.3 out of 10 based on 658 customer reviews.
I don't know if Ford in the U.S. has the same slogan as those here where they say that they "won't be undersold on tires".
I would narrow down my list to a few brands and then check out the customer reviews on them and then make a decision. I believe all those that you mentioned will certainly do the job.

Peter

2011 with 54,000 miles. Definitely time to replace tires. Michelin Latitudes were stock on my XLT. Michelin guaranteed 55k miles. I could have gotten another thousand out of them, but it wasn't worth the risk.

I spent a lot of time researching here and on every major manufacturer site to see what was out there, cost, and real world experiences. Opinions and information was all over the place.

Out of all replacements, the tires that seemed a possibility were the Yokohama Parada - but they have no tread warranty, and people seem to be replacing them at around 30,000 miles. That's just over half the tread life of the Michelin.

I liked the Michelins and have had good luck with the 4 prior sets I have runon other explorers, so I replaced them with the same tire. I bought them at Treadquarters, which is part of Monro/Mr. Tire/Auto Tire group. Out the door price was $965.

Let's Talk Tires

I haven't seen much talk about what tires people are switching to. I just ordered some Pirelli scorpion verde all season plus 255/50/20 for my wife's explorer. Cheapest I could find them was $812 shipped from a distributor on eBay, second cheapest was tire rack at $932 shipped. Also, Pirelli has a promo if you buy four tires you get a $60 prepaid card. I won't be having the new ones installed yet, as the stock hankooks have some life left at 34K miles. What's everyone else switching to and how do you like it?

I just ordered some Pirelli scorpion verde all season

I've got these on the Touareg. They are more Summer than All Season. Snow performance is borderline terrible. You will be less than thrilled with wear. I'll be lucky to get 30K. They also get noisy after 15K.

The Michelin Lattitude HPs that came from the factory on the Explorer on the other hand are excellent. Going strong at 40K, excellent performance. I'll stick with these moving forward on both.

I haven't seen much talk about what tires people are switching to. I just ordered some Pirelli scorpion verde all season plus 255/50/20 for my wife's explorer. Cheapest I could find them was $812 shipped from a distributor on eBay, second cheapest was tire rack at $932 shipped. Also, Pirelli has a promo if you buy four tires you get a $60 prepaid card. I won't be having the new ones installed yet, as the stock hankooks have some life left at 34K miles. What's everyone else switching to and how do you like it?
I have moved your thread to this existing one on the same topic.

Peter

I put the yokohamas on mine a little over a month ago. They are just as quiet and more aggressive tread pattern for the snow. Only issue is that they are a directional tire so you can't swap left to right when you rotate like the OEMs. Not sure how that will fair at 40,000 miles.. hopefully won't have any chopping going on.

They perform excellent in the snow. I paid $870 installed for 4 with 4 wheel alignment.

I've got these on the Touareg. They are more Summer than All Season. Snow performance is borderline terrible. You will be less than thrilled with wear. I'll be lucky to get 30K. They also get noisy after 15K.

The Michelin Lattitude HPs that came from the factory on the Explorer on the other hand are excellent. Going strong at 40K, excellent performance. I'll stick with these moving forward on both.

interesting, ive been researching tires over the past couple of months and these have really good reviews overall. also, what i ordered is the new "plus" model that has made improvements over your tire. they have a 65k mile tread warrantly so i would hope to get over 30K. also, the tires that came on your vw are not neccessarily the exact same tire that you buy in the store when it comes time to replace. fingers crossed that my wife is happy with them.

Need new all-season tires for 2013 Explorer Sport w/3" lift kit

I put a 3" lift kit on my '13 Explorer Sport before winter and put 265/50/20 Blizzak's on (I live in the mountains and the Sport was waaay too low for my taste). Now I need to order some tires for spring, to switch out from my snow tires. I've been looking at Bridgestone Dueler's and Goodyear Fortera's, but I'm open to suggestions. The Forterra's are half the price. But there are some really good and really bad reviews. Not sure what to think. I need something that will safely deal in some snow on the shoulder seasons, but I'm pretty good about switching to my Blizzaks early in the season when the real snow flies. I also want low road noise and better handling. Not sure if it's just the getting of bigger tires, or if the Blizzaks are the cause, but my road noise and handling sucks right now. Any recommendations? I typically don't like Hankooks, so I'll probably steer away from those. Thanks!

seems like you would need alot more sidewall with a 3 inch lift? do you have any pictures?

We tried a larger sidewall, but they would have rubbed when turning. The 265/50/20's are as big as I can go, and seem the perfect size with the lift.

As for positing a picture, I have never figured out how to do that on this site. If you can instruct me, I'd be happy to post a photo.

ExplorerSport_zps1e84381b.jpg.html

Photo with 3" lift and 265/50/20 Blizzaks.

ExplorerSport_zps1e84381b.jpg

I'll try again. . .

Beautiful! Sweet ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How's that affecting the SPORT handling?

I ask because its specifically tuned with performance handling characteristics, specifically dropped 20MM as compared to the Limited,XLT, and base.

Back