Time for tires | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Replaced our Hankook's at 70K miles, weren't worn out yet, but expected to do some wintry driving and didn't want to take a chance.:)

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey ppl. Sorry I didn't introduce myself in in intro thread. But this is my first post here. noticed that threads are being moved from Tires section to places with more activity.

Anyhow, I have a 2013 XLT with just less than 29K on it. Time for some tires. Didn't know they wear out that quick, but they are 255/50/R20. Trying to save some money here. Is it possible to put 60 or 70 series on this? Friggin 50 series are bank. I know it will make the OD of the tire larger, but there is some room. LMK if any of you have tried this. thanks in advance.

Sure, but you will need to go down to a smaller sized rim; such as 18".
My winters are 245-60-18.

Hey ppl. Sorry I didn't introduce myself in in intro thread. But this is my first post here. noticed that threads are being moved from Tires section to places with more activity.

Anyhow, I have a 2013 XLT with just less than 29K on it. Time for some tires. Didn't know they wear out that quick, but they are 255/50/R20. Trying to save some money here. Is it possible to put 60 or 70 series on this? Friggin 50 series are bank. I know it will make the OD of the tire larger, but there is some room. LMK if any of you have tried this. thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum Tony.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. There are also threads discussing different sizes that you can find using the Forum's 'Search' feature at the top right. Getting familiar with that feature can be very helpful in finding existing threads/topic. FYI, I'm running 18" wheels in place of the OEM 20" and they are a 60 series.

Peter

For what it's worth, I've had the original Hankooks (terrible in rain and snow); the Bridgestone Alenza Plus's (had weird harmonics that caused them to hum at speed); the Michelin Premier LTX - quiet tire, but provided too much feedback in the steering wheel - felt like a snow tire. I finally landed on the Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia PLUS. I used size 265/50/20 on the Sport rim. Note that these tires were used on a 2011 Limited and then the 2014 Sport I'm in now.

The Ecopia PLUS's were just released. So far, after 1,500 miles, they are smooth, quiet and good in the rain. I use Blizzak's in the snow, so I'm not concerned with that; though, I did get suck in a storm recently and they performed acceptably given they are an all season tire.

My biggest disappointment was the Michelin Premier LTX. Stock, new, they came with 9/32nd's of tread. The others' came with 12/32nd's. When I removed them at my 30 day trial, I had put 4,000 miles on them. At that point, 1/32nd of tread was already gone. Think about that - if you replace at 4/32nd's, which you should, it's a 20,000 tire that was rated for at least 60k. What drove me to pull them off was the buzzing you felt in the steering wheel. It wasn't vibration; rather, it was the tread transmitting back up to the steering wheel. Felt just like a snow tire. I can tolerate that in the winter; however, during the summer? No thanks.

The Ecopia PLUS's look nice in the wider size and are much smoother than the Michelin tire.

Good luck!
Shumax

Very helpful. I have an 03 Lincoln Aviator that I am in the process of buying tires for. I have put on two of the Defender LTX's on there now and I was thinking about exchanging them for the Premier LTX's but I am happy with the Defenders and was thinking that I would be happier with the Premiers. Thanks

Got Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia P255/50R20 tires installed at FORD yesterday and they seem simular to the Hankook tires for ride and noise, probably quieter. It will take a while to figure out gas mileage.:)

Paul
First fillup and more City(90%) MPG's got same MPG's as last tank. 20 mpg's:)

Paul

so im thinking about getting new all terrain tires for my explorer sport, current size is 255/50/20
do any brands make grappler looking tires in this size?

Yes, but you have to do some searching to get their as they won't show up as a tire size for the Ex. I have found them on the tire rack site and their are only a few. You have to pay attention to tire diameter to stay within the parameters of the electronics. I can't be positive as I haven't looked in a while but, Goodyear has a size that will work. Something like 265/60\20's. The '60' part I'm not quite sure of.

Here is an example of a Continental tire: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5TR0TCAT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I just wanted to post a pic of my factory Hankook tires after about 52k miles. Man, these things are wearing slow. Not sure how well it can be seen in the picture, but the wear bars are are about 1/2 the tread depth. This is the worst, just moved from the front to the rear. Rears had even more tread. If they are still decent, I might run them through next winter and following summer ( 2018). We'll see.

I should state that the first 40k miles were probably 90% highway. Probably more like 50/50 now, but also drive about 5k fewer miles per year(down to 15k/year) now that we move to a new house.
o6cwoj.jpg
My tires have about the same wear (actually a bit worse), but at 14K miles. I'm not happy with these tires.

So, I was SERIOUSLY not impressed with the OEM Hankook tires on my 2017 Platinum. Snow and wet weather traction was scary at best. So, after much research, on Friday I swapped out the Hankook for a set of Pirelli Scorpian Verde All Season Plus tires. They're supposed to be "eco friendly" by using less material, and as a result, lighter. That translates into lower rolling resistance/unsprung weight, a quieter ride, and mpg improvements. So far, I'm very happy. Very sticky handling in 25 degree weather since I had them installed. Crazy quiet and really handle well even over rough broken roads. Really isolate well. No idea yet about snow and wet weather traction, or mileage, but will post again once I have some feedback. $900 total, installed including NYS sales tax.

Good info here. I need tires ASAP for my 2013 Explorer XLT FWD, I think I'm going with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus.
Tirerack.com has them at 159.55/tire, I'll see if my local Town Fair Tire here in CT will price match that price.

Separate winter tires are not an option for me as I do not have a garage for storage, unfortunately. :(

Great choice. I just got through using them over this last week. One day of VERY HEAVY RAIN and then 14 inches of snow. Handled very well in both conditions, and rock in the dry. Best choice I think I could have made. Haven't seen a mileage increase, but still hoping once I get to some regular driving that I'll see a 1 mpg increase. We'll see.

Good info here. I need tires ASAP for my 2013 Explorer XLT FWD, I think I'm going with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus.
Tirerack.com has them at 159.55/tire, I'll see if my local Town Fair Tire here in CT will price match that price.

Separate winter tires are not an option for me as I do not have a garage for storage, unfortunately. :(
Have you tried pricing them through your dealer. Their slogan is that they won't be undersold on tires, Costco excepted. I have two sets of wheels/tires and I always have te dealer store the ones that aren't being used. I believe they charge $35 but I wasn't charged the last time.

Peter

Have you tried pricing them through your dealer. Their slogan is that they won't be undersold on tires, Costco excepted. I have two sets of wheels/tires and I always have te dealer store the ones that aren't being used. I believe they charge $35 but I wasn't charged the last time.

Peter

I have a Town Fair Tire card with 0% financing for 12 months, so I'm taking advantage of that. For the 4 tires, with alignment, they're charging me $866 out the door.

They tried to push MasterCrafts, and they were going to do the Michelin Latitude Tours for about $50 more. I decided to stick to my guns and insist on the Pireli's.

They didn't have them in stock, they had to order them from their warehouse, they're coming in tomorrow. Is there an easy way to differentiate the non-plus from the plus on the Pirelli's? I just want to make sure they're not pulling a fast one and giving me the non-plus.

The tread pattern seems to be the same. The only difference I've been able to see on the Pirelli site is that the non Plus tire has the wording All Season below Verde. The Plus tire does not. The All Season is shown on an separate band of the tire.

Peter

The tread pattern seems to be the same. The only difference I've been able to see on the Pirelli site is that the non Plus tire has the wording All Season below Verde. The Plus tire does not. The All Season is shown on an separate band of the tire.

Peter
The difference between the regular AS and the AS+ is "eco friendliness". The plus is made with less material, thus lighter. Lower reciprocating mass means better mileage, in theory. They say 6%. Only time will tell. Also, because of lower rolling resistance, the treadlife is longer. Again, very new so we'll have to wait and see. I can say that they're "ULTRA QUIET" which does lend itself to lower rolling resistance and longer tread life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter for the heads up. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye. Also some reviews I've read say they've been installed backwards, to look for the arrow that should be on the outside, some installers miss that.

Back