Time for tires | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good info here. I need tires ASAP for my 2013 Explorer XLT FWD, I think I'm going with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus.
Tirerack.com has them at 159.55/tire, I'll see if my local Town Fair Tire here in CT will price match that price.

Separate winter tires are not an option for me as I do not have a garage for storage, unfortunately. :(

Great choice. I just got through using them over this last week. One day of VERY HEAVY RAIN and then 14 inches of snow. Handled very well in both conditions, and rock in the dry. Best choice I think I could have made. Haven't seen a mileage increase, but still hoping once I get to some regular driving that I'll see a 1 mpg increase. We'll see.

I have a Town Fair Tire card with 0% financing for 12 months, so I'm taking advantage of that. For the 4 tires, with alignment, they're charging me $866 out the door.

They tried to push MasterCrafts, and they were going to do the Michelin Latitude Tours for about $50 more. I decided to stick to my guns and insist on the Pireli's.

They didn't have them in stock, they had to order them from their warehouse, they're coming in tomorrow. Is there an easy way to differentiate the non-plus from the plus on the Pirelli's? I just want to make sure they're not pulling a fast one and giving me the non-plus.

Update: After taking advantage of the 30 day guarantee that Town Fair Tire offers, I decided to switch from the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus, to the Michelin Latitude Tour
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...dRating=S&partnum=46TR8LTV2&cameFrom=selectOE

The Pirelli's rode really rough, were very noisy, didn't really handle that great in the wintery weather conditions, and I noticed my gas mileage dropped pretty significantly. After switching them out to the Michelin's, as luck would have it we had three fairly major snowfalls, and icy/sleet conditions, and I was extremely impressed in the way these tires performed when I needed them to. My gas mileage has rebounded to where it was previously, they are a very quiet and smooth ride.

The only downside is now they are on sale for $25/tire cheaper than what I paid and are now offering a $70 mail in rebate.

Hope this helps others who are deciding on tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Peter, How did you like your Parada Spec-X? There is a special on them right now and I am leaning towards them for my 13 sport.

Hi Peter, How did you like your Parada Spec-X? There is a special on them right now and I am leaning towards them for my 13 sport.
I was very happy with them. The had a little aggressive tread than the OEM tires but I didn't use them in Winter as I use dedicated Winter wheels/tires. I believe blwnsmoke also has them as does jonnoriega http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...lorer-photo-thread.441370/page-5#post-3618278. Member blwnsmoke would have put the most mileage on them.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I think these will be fine for me. We went up to Gatineau the day after the snow storm in March. I was driving on the Optimo tires and I did not think they were too bad.

I put Yokohama Parada Specs on a CX-9 we had. Wonderful tire that went about 40K miles for us and was quiet and great in the rain. I would have no problem buying them again, but they discontinued the size we needed. However, the Michelin Premier LTX that replaced them are better, probably one of the best tires I ever owned. They will be going on our Explorer to replace the stock Hankooks. I have already replaced 3 under warranty due to being out of round and they couldn't even get one of the new replacements to balance. That's a bit troubling.

I've read the tired thread- a lot of it anyway...not such a fan of 50 and 100 page threads, but I did read a lot of the last year. My 2016 Ex Plat was in for oil service and a seat issue, and they let me know I'd need tires before the next service. I'm surprised these original equipment tires, that saw lots of highway miles and were carefully pressure-managed and rotated, are worn out at 30K miles...There was mention of some partial coverage for this in Ford's US warranty...a percentage coverage? Anyone have details?

Of course, now I have to decide what A/S tires to put on...looking at Michelin, Yokohama and the tire Hankook replaced the old one with in their line. Interested in any current faves knowing it has to be All Season (A/S) as I go back and forth between PA and VT for now all year.

There was mention of some partial coverage for this in Ford's US warranty...a percentage coverage? Anyone have details?
Of course, now I have to decide what A/S tires to put on...looking at Michelin, Yokohama and the tire Hankook replaced the old one with in their line. Interested in any current faves knowing it has to be All Season (A/S) as I go back and forth between PA and VT for now all year.
Doubt your Dealer will warranty the Hankooks, but you can try. As for replacements, here is my vote for the highly rated Michelin Defender LTX 255/50R20 109H XL BSW AS tires. I picked up some at a Costco sale and boy am I glad! My Ex handles and drives so much nicer, with better traction on dry and wet roads than the OEM Hankook's, and they are quiet! The Michelin Defenders are 109H rated to carry more weight than the 104H Hankook's too.

Interested in any current faves
Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/L. They are wearing incredibly well, quiet, smooth, and good mixed winter driving performance. I've got them on the Touareg as well, which is 500# heavier. I've got over 40K miles on them on the Touareg, and still have 6/32 tread.

The Ex, running 18s, is very easy on tires. I expect to get 70K miles, as I did with the factory Michelin Lattitude Tours.

Not sure about the 20 size, but my guess is they will not wear as well.

I've read the tired thread- a lot of it anyway...not such a fan of 50 and 100 page threads, but I did read a lot of the last year. My 2016 Ex Plat was in for oil service and a seat issue, and they let me know I'd need tires before the next service. I'm surprised these original equipment tires, that saw lots of highway miles and were carefully pressure-managed and rotated, are worn out at 30K miles...There was mention of some partial coverage for this in Ford's US warranty...a percentage coverage? Anyone have details?
The warranty on the OEM tires is not for tire wear whether it is considered premature or not. The info on the coverage is in the Warranty Guide. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ranty-Guide-version-2_frdwa_EN-US_07_2015.pdf

Peter

New tires / what about Hankook Optimo H426 or Ventus S1 Noble ?

Now I drive with Nexen Roadian and these tires are extremely loud and have already (after about 3k miles !) build an asymmetric pattern with "sawtooth"...pulsed sound on the highway...

Both Optimo and Noble are on sale here nearby / what can I await ? Can anyone help me to decide ?

New tires / what about Hankook Optimo H426 or Ventus S1 Noble ?

Now I drive with Nexen Roadian and these tires are extremely loud and have already (after about 3k miles !) build an asymmetric pattern with "sawtooth"...pulsed sound on the highway...

Both Optimo and Noble are on sale here nearby / what can I await ? Can anyone help me to decide ?
Although Ford puts these on the Explorer, neither of them are SUV tires. If you go to the Hankook site you will see that they are shown as passenger car tires. There are existing threads on both of them in the Forum.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/oem-hankook-tires-like-or-dislike.305892/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...issue-with-ventus-s1-noble-2-hankooks.457805/
There may be other post that talk about them and you can try using the 'Search' feature to find them.

Peter

I am at the starting point of tire shopping and since mine if FWD and I don't go too much off-road (that's why we have a Subaru) I am trying to narrow down the options & cost.
Fun times... 22K miles and tires probably within a few thousand miles for me.

Anyone has tried the Hankook Dynapro HP2 ? 69 db...

Anyone has tried the Hankook Dynapro HP2 ? 69 db...
Just checked and there are no posts on Dynapro in this thread other than yours. We'll have to wait and see if anyone has any experience with them.

Peter

So I am looking at a few tire options, 255/50/20 (load rating 109H) for my FWD Limited that doesn't really go "off road" much, gravel roads, heat from AZ summer roads and heavy monsoon rains are my concerns.

YOKOHAMA - YK740 GTX
- 60,000 mile warranty ($30 mail in rebate from Discount Tire)

MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S
- 70,000 mile warranty (dual mail in rebates now at Discount Tire from DT - $30 and Michelin $70)
- Similar deal at Costco but instant $70 off and $30 Costco cash card but higher per tire cost, but includes 5 year road hazard warranty)

PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE A/S PLUS - 65,000 mile warranty (dual mail in rebates now at Discount Tire from DT - $30 and Pirelli $60)

Thoughts?

Looking at the customer reviews it seems that MIchelin and Pirelli are almost identical in a rating of 4+ out of 5. Not too much info on the Yokohama. It isn't sjown on either 1010tires.com or tirerack.com. You have to search the tire itself. Of the 3, I'd be leaning to the Michelin.

Peter

So I am looking at a few tire options, 255/50/20 (load rating 109H) for my FWD Limited that doesn't really go "off road" much, gravel roads, heat from AZ summer roads and heavy monsoon rains are my concerns.
MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S - 70,000 mile warranty (dual mail in rebates now at Discount Tire from DT - $30 and Michelin $70)
- Similar deal at Costco but instant $70 off and $30 Costco cash card but higher per tire cost, but includes 5 year road hazard warranty)
Thoughts?
The Michelins... Now that I've got a few thousand miles on mine I can say they are an excellent tire that has greatly enhanced the ride and handling of my ExPlat. After playing around with various air pressures I now use 34 psi cold, which ends up being about 37 psi hot, and they ride so much better than the OEM Hankook's.
The other tires might be a good pick but I have zero regrets with the Michelin Defenders.

... cwescapexlt4x4, one of my daughter's lives in LP, AZ. That is a nice town, we stay at the Wigwam when visiting and end up eating at the Old Pueblo Cafe at least once.

:)

I have been researching and trying to figure out the difference of the Michelin Defender and the Michelin Premier LTX. Anybody know?

I have been researching and trying to figure out the difference of the Michelin Defender and the Michelin Premier LTX. Anybody know?
I just got 4 new Defender LTX M/S (20 inch) and love them so far..... ride better than the Yokohama's and Bridgestone Alenza tires that I've had in the past on two different Explorers.

Here's an excerpt from a tirerack blog:

Michelin Defender LTX or Michelin LTX Premier: Which is Right for You?
Wednesday, April 20, 2016 by Hunter Leffel
Michelin recently introduced two new tire lines, the Premier LTX and Defender LTX M/S. Both tires are available in some of the same sizes, so a common question is, "Which one is the better choice?"

For starters, these are both great tires and we expect many years of rave reviews to come. The Premier LTX features Expanding Rain Grooves and Emerging Grooves first introduced on the Premier A/S passenger car tire line. The benefit of these two features is the lessened drop off of wet traction as the tire wears when compared to the competition. This feature is what sets the tire apart from the Defender LTX. Where the Defender shines will be in longer wear, with a 70,000-mile tread-life warranty, as compared to the 60,000-mile warranty on the Premier. Snow traction will also be better with the Defender lineup according to Michelin.

In summary, if your need is for the best wet grip, take a look at the Michelin Premier LTX. If you're looking for good light snow traction and longevity, start your search with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I am about to replace the junk Hankooks on my Platinum. 16K miles and front left has tread separation and I picked up 2 screws in the rh frt and rear. Anyone recommend decent tires? Looks like the Michelin are the way to go but I live in Texas so the chances of snow are remote.........

Back