time to change brake pads - any recommendations? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

time to change brake pads - any recommendations?

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
well its time for me to change the pads on my sport trac, just wondering if anyone had any reccomendations, info, opinions. thanks fellas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard good things about Hawk Performance brake pads. No experience with them though to verify for myself.

thanks, ill look them up. after looking around online, i think im close to just springing for the raybestos ceramic pads.

i run auto store ceramics the ceramics last longer and clamp harder then semi-metallics i feel. in panic stops i feel less fade on the ceramics

Front Pads-Wagner MX833 Semi-Metallic They come with the hardware(metal slippers) as well. Ive had them on for over a year now. No problems. I recently inspected them and they look great. Barely any wear. Guessing maybe at least 20K on them. My rims hardly ever have brake dust on them. Stops on a dime. Excellent quality. Excellent price. (try rockauto) I also have Wagner Semi-Metallic on the rears.
Two different part numbers on the rears depending on whether you have steel or phenolic pistons. MX667A for phenolic piston and MX667 for steel piston. Remove rear pads and stick a magnet to the caliper to see. If it sticks they are steel. My magnet did not stick=phenolic. Also, if its the phenolic piston. The prongs on the brake pad are smaller and tighter together- I believe- than the prongs on the pad made for the (larger)steel piston.(someone please correct me if I am wrong on the prong thing). Anyway, that's my two cents.
...Just in case, don't forget to clean and grease the slide pins.(silicone based so it doesn't eat the rubber on the slide pin tips and boots.I use 3M silicone paste) Also, (if applicable) I lightly use 80 grit emory cloth on the rotors(both sides) to scuff em up and remove any glazing.(I never get rotors "turned". If you get them turned you might have issues down the road(over-heating/warping) and I do not trust the brake lathes at auto stores. The blade needs to be fairly new and sharp etc.. Lastly, spray down with brake clean before starting, use proper torque specs, and properly "bed" in the new pads. Sorry, I know you didn't ask. Just wanted to mention. :)

I have the ebc green pads and rotors, they work great. I've had them for over 2years and the braking is really good and worth the money. You don't have to get the rotors if you don't need new ones, I did so I bought the set. When I get disk rear brakes I will be upgrading to ebc.

Thanks for all the info fellas, I hope this thread will turn up when others are looking for info on pads. Don't know if I'll have time to do this until the weekend. I'll report back with my choice and results.

Just installed some EBC Greenstuff pads a month ago, only a few hundred miles on them but did notice an immediate and dramatic increase in stopping power. They instruct you to break them in by stopping from 50-0 three or four times in a row after driving on them for 200 miles or so, and when I did that I was amazed at just how short a distance it took for me to go from 50-5 or so. I spent the extra on the Greenstuff pads because it is probable I'll be towing a boat in mountainy roads in the near future-- I wanted to go all out, and here at a month out I'll say that I'm happy I spent the extra forty bucks or whatever and got the name brand stuff. I'm sure the Hawk pads are great too, just sharing my experience :)

For those on a tight budget - I put a set of BrakeBest Select semi-metallic pads and BrakeBest rotors from O'Reilly's on my '94 Explorer last August or Sept. I like them so much I put the equivalent parts on my Sport Trac a couple of weeks ago. $33.99 for the pads, $46.99 for each rotor

Tip concerning rotors - check both sides of each rotor! The outer sides of both rotors on my Sport Trac looked and felt fine. The back sides had chunks missing like the surface had flaked off in places. The inner pads were worn down more than the outer ones, too.

NAPA Ceramic. Good pedal feel, virtually no dust, and don't cost an arm and a leg. Been using them for a couple years on everything.

Back