Time to change hubs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time to change hubs?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hey everyone. I'm going to swap out my rotors and calipers this weekend since they're the originals and worn out. I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on changing the hubs while I'm in there. I had the bearings changed in them a couple of months ago but I think it might be time to just change the entire hub assembly since they're at 191,000 miles and 15 years old. Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you had bearings changes, it sounds like you have 2WD. there are no replaceable bearings in the 4WD/AWD hub assembly. if you do have 2WD, the hub is part of the rotor. change the rotor and you've changed the hub and bearing races. i'd probably install new bearings in a new hub as they're cheap enough. you'll also need inner bearing seals, cotter pins and hi-temp wheel bearing grease. there is a specific torque procedure for the spindle nuts. ask if you need help with that.

It's 2WD. I thought the rotor slid onto the hub bolts and the hub assembly contains the bearing, abs sensor and tone ring?

It's 2WD. I thought the rotor slid onto the hub bolts and the hub assembly contains the bearing, abs sensor and tone ring?

not on most Fords and not on your truck. the tone ring and lug studs are also part of the rotor. this makes the rotor quite expensive. BTW, the 4WD/AWD rotors have a separate hub and the rotor does slide onto the lug studs.

Back