Time to replace the '02 Explorer, do I get 2016 or 2017? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time to replace the '02 Explorer, do I get 2016 or 2017?

If I were buying again I would buy

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Something else....

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

F15E_WSO

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport
All,
4th Explorer may be inbound, had a '92, '02, '01 Sport for my son. Now am looking at the 2016 and 2017, hopefully both Certified Pre-Owned from Ford. I have looked at reviews from Consumer Reports, USNEWS, KBB and a few others and the 2016 is getting beat up in reliability, reviews, general surveys. Yet, the 2017 bounces right back and people like them?! I love them, but am wondering if anyone has insight on why the 2016 takes a beating in reviews? And does the 2017 have high marks still as it is pretty new? Was there a major change in the '16 in major component(s) that caused bad reviews?
Please provide any expert advice if able. What you drive, what you like, hate, would change, any advice would be most welcome.
Also looking at Toyota Highlander, GMC Acadia (surprisingly high marks), Infiniti QX60, and drove the Honda Pilot and it felt like a mini-van and tranny was a mushy late to respond mess.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lot of the negative comments about the 16's is due to MyFordTouch vice Sync3. I have a 16 (Platinum trim) and it has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. I have no issues with MyFordTouch.

JMHO,

TW

Before buying my existing 2018 Explorer, I owned a 2016 Platinum model. It was a zero-defects vehicle and never went back to the dealership's service department for anything. My 2016 Explorer was the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned. That's why I bought another Explorer.

Welcome to the 5th generation side of the Forum. As mentioned, the 2016 still had MyFord Touch (Sync 2) while the 2017 has Sync 3, I used both for just the basic things and didn't have issues with either. My 2017, with low mileage has been trouble free and I'd get it again to answer your poll question. I'd also have no issue getting a 2018 but waiting right now for the redesigned 2020 model.

Peter

I have the 2016 Sport. No major issues at 25K. Only problem I had was liftgate opening when walking past it with fob in my pocket , it opens. A new module was replaced and no futher problem. Early production 2016 had issues with throttle bodies which were replaced if customers had drivability issues. Mines was 4/2016 and had the later production throttle body. As mentioned above, Sync 3 was available on 2017 and Sync 2 was on the 2016. Otherwise both vehicles are the same. Both model years had the factory installed Hankook which are terrible tires and I will be replacing with Michelin Defenders. No point in taking Ford/Hankook customer satisfaction offer to prorate towards Hankook replacement of same tires.

It has been a few years since I've had a Ford with warranty and I was very disappointed to go in for my first service visit and be reminded of Ford's policy on loaner vehicles. All of my new vehicles over the last 20 years had been GM, MB, Honda or Mazda and I always received a loaner vehicle for every warranty/recall service visit.

The 2017s are still relatively new vehicles and I doubt many have high enough miles/use to draw any real conclusions on long term reliability yet. Even though there are generally minor improvements made over the model life of a vehicle, I would assume all 5th gen explorers are going to be subject to some/many of the same common problems at some point. If you're concerned enough with long term reliability, there's always the option of spending a few grand extra on an extended warranty. If you want a guaranteed loaner when your explorer needs service, you'll need that extended warranty with loaner coverage also.

If you aren't particularly brand loyal, you may want to simply put together a list of your must haves and nice to haves, and see what vehicle checks the most boxes within your price range. It may be the explorer, or it may not be.

I think it goes without saying, but if you are buying used, make sure to do your due diligence (carfax and service history) to ensure you aren't buying someone else's problem child.

I have a 2016 with the 2.3L ecoboost. It's been a very good vehicle, just hit the 2 year old mark at 28,000. Better than my 2015 with the 3.5 NA engine. That car had both brake and transmission problems. Also the 2014 had a lot of body issues, squeaks, rattles and misaligned panels that the 2016 does not have. The 2016 is a much more solid vehicle with better seats.

Back