TIme to start the V8boost project again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TIme to start the V8boost project again

Time To start the old explorer, been sleeping for a year

In the past I left it with a tiny m90 blower that was starving the new built & fully forged 347, I bought a couple of things a lightning intercooler, lightning m112 blower, but I still wasn't convinced that this blower would make the power I was looking for plus was really worried about hood clearance, I don't mind a 2-2.5 inch cowl hood but I was estimating I was going to need a 4-4.5, so I just recently bought a gt500 m122 blower it has the inlet on the side and if I port it Gonna be close to the same setup as the 2.3 lightning whipple upgrade without the $3800 cost which I almost did before I found out the potential of the stock gt500 blower. Gonna be fun the next couple of months trying to figure out how to slap this setup on.

Here's a little vid of her waking up after a year, I love when she doesn't wake up the first time reminds me of the gone in 60 seconds movie :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U54Y1z6D7gM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't wait to see it all done

Congrats on you motivation to start a new phase of mods. To let you know my Ex is up and running well with the Cobra M112 set up. It is making 15 lbs of boost with the methanol injection and screams like a scalded dog. I believe it is making at least 400 whp but no dyno numbers yet. Love to see how your project goes keep us all posted. My next next step is either a 2.3 TVS or a built Dart motor. Good luck.

Congrats on you motivation to start a new phase of mods. To let you know my Ex is up and running well with the Cobra M112 set up. It is making 15 lbs of boost with the methanol injection and screams like a scalded dog. I believe it is making at least 400 whp but no dyno numbers yet. Love to see how your project goes keep us all posted. My next next step is either a 2.3 TVS or a built Dart motor. Good luck.

So you did get the crank pulley made, how did that go, what is blower and crank pulley?

7.5" crank pulley and 2.4" blower pulley custom built by asp.

It is six groove and I get a little belt slip. At wot boost spikes at 18 psi then holds real steady at 15psi

It is six groove and I get a little belt slip. At wot boost spikes at 18 psi then holds real steady at 15psi

So I'd problaby would get a 7.5 crank like you did, but I wonder what size pulley I would need to get for the gt500 blower. I think the stock blower comes with a 10 groove pulley, but I'd like to get the one I'm going use as a 6 groove so it can match the rest of the system before I figure out how im going to install it.

This is what I got, (-;
bcacbfe5.jpg

So you are planning to run a lightning intercooler under the GT500 blower on a 302 based engine? Have you laid out the mainfold yet? I initially looked into that, but moved to a 351W block in order to get more spread between the heads and fit the intercooler and injectors at stock angle.

I will be interested to see how this turns out.

AND, this is just the type of stuff I need to kick me in the ass to get mine done! it has been literally years that I have had all the parts complete from the waterjet cutter, just sitting on my welding table to be put together. Just no "time" for it...

Good luck!

Time To start the old explorer, been sleeping for a year

In the past I left it with a tiny m90 blower that was starving the new built & fully forged 347, I bought a couple of things a lightning intercooler, lightning m112 blower, but I still wasn't convinced that this blower would make the power I was looking for plus was really worried about hood clearance, I don't mind a 2-2.5 inch cowl hood but I was estimating I was going to need a 4-4.5, so I just recently bought a gt500 m122 blower it has the inlet on the side and if I port it Gonna be close to the same setup as the 2.3 lightning whipple upgrade without the $3800 cost which I almost did before I found out the potential of the stock gt500 blower. Gonna be fun the next couple of months trying to figure out how to slap this setup on.

Here's a little vid of her waking up after a year, I love when she doesn't wake up the first time reminds me of the gone in 60 seconds movie :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U54Y1z6D7gM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

sounds good man.witch blower is on it in that vid?the snout looks short for a m90?

7.5" crank pulley and 2.4" blower pulley custom built by asp.

what did that crank pulley run you?can they do others beside the 5.0?

Interested to see the pulley details too. I am modifying a Romac damper to add the crank trigger wheel and adapt an 8-rib zero-lb metco interchangeable pulley from 2003 Cobra.

I do have a 7.5" custom pulley that attaches to the explorer damper three holes for pulling the damper. It rides over the existing explorer pulley. It is 6 rib, but was made to be modifiable to an 8 rib. Not sure if I will end up using this or not.

Explorerpulley3.jpg

Explorerpulley2.jpg

Explorerpulley1.jpg

so.....um...whatcha do'n with the old stuff eh? :D
Gonna sell it to you :eek:

So you are planning to run a lightning intercooler under the GT500 blower on a 302 based engine? Have you laid out the mainfold yet? I initially looked into that, but moved to a 351W block in order to get more spread between the heads and fit the intercooler and injectors at stock angle.

I will be interested to see how this turns out.

AND, this is just the type of stuff I need to kick me in the ass to get mine done! it has been literally years that I have had all the parts complete from the waterjet cutter, just sitting on my welding table to be put together. Just no "time" for it...

Good luck!
Thanks but the plans have changed a bit, I won't be able to run the intercooler the gt500 blower is so long it barely fits from the back of the wall to where it meets up at the pulleys. I'll post a picture. I'm just going to run Meth.

sounds good man.witch blower is on it in that vid?the snout looks short for a m90?

It's a m90 kit from explorer express.

8c852eba.jpg

bfc95791.jpg

7fc7367c.jpg

Finally got the Adaptor kit made specifically to fit the GT500 M122 to the explorer. Now i have to wait for my explorer, The stall converter ballooned and pushed out the crank a couple of cm's. unfortunately they have to take the motor out, pull the pan down redo the seals on the crank and im gonna have to buy an aftermarket stall with anti ballon plates, probably going to get 500 rpms more than stock. I think its gonna be a monster on the launch because of the all wheel drive, my next concern is going to be the transfer case, I wonder how much power it can handle. Guess ill find out the hard way.

3071f371.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back