time to swap the tranny i guess

janderson4010

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
third boxcar, midnight train
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 BII
So this is hilarious. The battery on my honda died the other day so I fired up the bII to jump start it, just making sure it gets started every few days since I don't drive it anymore. I fired it up and was holding the clutch in in 4low, 1st gear, I put it in neutral but when I let off the clutch it started moving. so I thought im an idiot and havent driven it in a while i must not be used to the shifter, ill try round 2, no i put it in neutral and when i let out on the clutch it started driving again! I shifted into 4high and it didn't move, damndest thing ive ever seen.

Ive been wondering for awhile how the trans was going to go out but i never imagined it would drive in neutral haha. so i went out to the exploder i got the m5od out of and starting checking out how to wire the 4.0 in my bII, ill swap the engine and trans in at the same time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A strange sense of humor you have ha ha.
Reminds me of a similar thing that happened to me and scared the sh#t out of me.
I was at a Race track with one of my race cars on the trailer back many years ago.
Now this car had a Crower fuel injected big block Chevy all fiberglass body.
Thank God it was strapped down with chains on the trailer. I was leaning over the fender reving up the engine to around 5000 rpm's when all of a sudden it took off in neutral :eek: need another :eek:
It was trying to do a wheel stand on the trailer. Could you only imagine had it been in the crowded pit area off the trailer.
Bottom line...make sure there is enough fluid in the case or the main shaft will seize around the gears.
I'm not telling who forgot to add tranny fluid to the M22 Rock Crusher tranny after rebuilding :rolleyes:
So check your fluid.

ive been wanting to take the old girl to my dads property and see what it will take to grenade the tranny, the one in there is obviously going the way of the dodo haha

Plenty of pics of the ensuing carnage afterwards please.

Take this from me, if for some reason the engine throws a rod through the block trying to grenade the tranny...Do not, repeat, Do not under any circumstance, immediately pick up the connecting rod.
I think I still have the scar to show my stupidity.

alright bII forum, suggestions in how to grenade this thing? ive got about 100 aces of cottonwood forest, (yes rookie there are a ton of deer in there), and 6-8 in of snow. im concerned that i won't have enough traction to break the trans, or even get anywhere on 31 hankook at's. this forest is basically my dirt bike track, it has a few hills about 15-20 feet tall, dry riverbeds, and some fields for wide open runs. oh and obv i will have a pretty "sizable" copilot in heath, the mod for the for sale forum, love ya buddy, and a foot destined for the skinny pedal. guess i could have my wife drive, the trans would be eliminated in about an hr with her driving, lmao. any ideas?

Won't have to worry about spinning tires if you just drain the tranny fluid. I would even have Heath tied to a 30' tow strap wearing nothing but a black thong ha ha. After about the first 30 seconds, he'll be pulling so hard against the rope that this will produce even more heat on the tranny.
I would have a good Fire extinguisher with ya.

I'm thinking I'll be out there sitting in my Excursion with the heat on and the tow strap ready to drag his pathetic little hotwheel home so he can fix it!!!

What would be really sad is...the tranny holds up, but the engine lets loose :eek:

But I do like his way of thinking. Don't manicure it till it blows, blow it up now and be done with it.
Easy for me to say sitting in the comfort of my overly comfy computer chair.

Be really cool if you could strap an On-board camera facing the driveline and broadcast in real time the upcoming cataclysmic event :popcorn: I promise I won't snicker when it let's loose. Insert... :crossing fingers behind back:

So Anderson still hasn't told me when all of this is going to go down. Personally I think we should have a tug of war!!! Get that on video.

Heath i would have done it this last weekend but i don't want to see you in a black thong and you were doing sheetrock or some damn thing, not going to call you on those weekends, i was "busy" haha

So Anderson still hasn't told me when all of this is going to go down. Personally I think we should have a tug of war!!! Get that on video.

Ya, I was wondering the same thing?
I was going to post the Smiley guy eating popcorn, but it seems he's all out of popcorn waiting so long :D

yeah yeah. ok so this weekend Johnson, get off your ass, bring your camera and we will beat up on the BII. wondering really whats going to go first, the engine or trans, im guessing trans but the engine is def a darkhorse in this competition, its not in tip top either.

Btw if i blow this thing up this weekend you won't get your car in my garage for about 4 months im thinkin. cuz ill have a 4.0 and an m5od to put in.

yeah rookie don't eat popcorn the whole time, youll get fat waiting for this to all go down haha.

Back