Timing advance kit on Ebay for Explorer?? Does it work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing advance kit on Ebay for Explorer?? Does it work?

95EXP4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT 4x4
I came across this item on ebay which kind of made me think, it is a resistor that will just tell your air temprature sensor that cold air is coming in through the intake and raise your timing and it's very simple to install. Here is an address I found: Dead Link Removed Has anyone ever heard of such a mod? I know there is another one if you look on ebay also that claims to route your exhaust gases away quicker but it doesn't say with what and you will get 20+ hp from it hmmmmm??

It will make your X run rich which is bad for O2 sensors.

Just like SSIKORA says. Plus your gas mileage will go down. Hp gains will be slight-if any. Cold air is more dense than hot air, so it will accommodate more fuel. Your engine makes more HP with colder air than hotter air. However, fooling the computer into thinking the air is colder doesnt make the air colder. All it does is dump more fuel into your cylinder. If you are already at the correct ratio, more gas won't do anything for you. I wouldn't waste my money

Well even if you were gonna do it there is no reason to purchase a "kit" from Ebay. This old <ustang trick has been around since EFI and you can get teh $2 part in question at Radio Shack. Dont do it. On the old speed density engines (pre Mas air) you could make up for the extra fuel by advancing the timing and running a "hotter" spark, and even then it would kill 02 sensors and cat coverters if not done just right.

The 4.0L used the DIS ignition and all that extra gas is not gonna get adjusted for by the computer. You would be better off fabbing up an aftermarket fuel pressure regualtor and running a Mustang fuel pump and adjusting the fuel pressure from there....

Back