Timing and Jackshaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing and Jackshaft

thet0kra

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hey Guys.

I'm new to the Ford Explorer. Got it End of Jan... 1998 XLT with 56k on the clock. NICE =)

It is not working now :rolleyes:

I have a snapped Jackshaft bolt AND a snapped rear jackshaft sprocket.

Anyone have any experience with this/idea what might have caused this?

I don't want to go through the pain of having it repaired only to find it goes pop again for the very same reason let alone the struggle to get hold of a timing tool for it over here in the UK!

I scowered the forums looking for people talking about the timing and all have said get the tool/ check ebay... does anyone have any pictures or alignment info which would be of use to me?

I have been given the following gem but not sure how robust this info is....

"The way to time it is to ensure both the off centre cam shaft slits are level/flat with the head. With the engine at TDC both the cams need to have the off centre slot in the same position either up and level or down and level."

I know I am asking a lot of pretty vague questions here...but short of taking it to the main FORD dealer over here and paying what i guess will be over £2000 my local 'friendly trusted' garage needs a little assistance =)

Thanks.

Lee.. thet0kra..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys.

I'm new to the Ford Explorer. Got it End of Jan... 1998 XLT with 56k on the clock. NICE =)

It is not working now :rolleyes:

I have a snapped Jackshaft bolt AND a snapped rear jackshaft sprocket.

Anyone have any experience with this/idea what might have caused this?

I don't want to go through the pain of having it repaired only to find it goes pop again for the very same reason let alone the struggle to get hold of a timing tool for it over here in the UK!

I scowered the forums looking for people talking about the timing and all have said get the tool/ check ebay... does anyone have any pictures or alignment info which would be of use to me?

I have been given the following gem but not sure how robust this info is....

"The way to time it is to ensure both the off centre cam shaft slits are level/flat with the head. With the engine at TDC both the cams need to have the off centre slot in the same position either up and level or down and level."

I know I am asking a lot of pretty vague questions here...but short of taking it to the main FORD dealer over here and paying what i guess will be over £2000 my local 'friendly trusted' garage needs a little assistance =)

Thanks.

Lee.. thet0kra..

Lee,

I have the answers you are probably searching for, but I am currently getting ready to teach a lesson. I will PM you when I get home this afternoon, or evening. I have an address where you can look at pictures of my rebuild. It is not an enjoyable one. The estimate you have, dependent on the exchange rate of punds to dollars is in the area of what it would cost to have the job completed.

Mr. H.

Mr H.

Thanks for your help. Anything at the moment will be a god send.
I look forward to your message.

Thanks again.

Lee.

Do you think you could PM the link to me as well? I just bought SOHC in need of a timing overhaul and wouldnt mind a few pictures to see what im getting into. Thanks.

I'm with ya here as well. I would love to see the pictures and instructions.

I'm with ya here as well. I would love to see the pictures and instructions.

Hey Everyone,

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toddsexplorer/

Here is the link to the pictures, join and look. I do not yet have all of the text typed for the narrative, but, many of the pictures are explanitory. Here is the one that thet0kra will be interested in seeing. The arrows show the location of the jackshaft bolt and chain guide retaining bolt, both located on the engine block UNDER the bellhousing for the transmission. So, the trans and engine must be separated to access these, no way around it. Some people think that it can be done by dropping the trans, maybe, but the labor to pull the engine or drop the trans is pretty close. Engine on stand gives you the most access, probably goes without saying. The second picture is what the front guide may look like if you experience a break. This is the front timing chain, my rear chain and guide actually looked ok, but since I had the engine out, I changed them all (except the jackshaft chain). There are four total, main, left, rear, and jack shaft). BTW, the broken pieces are the biggest of what was left, the small ones wouldn't show up well so I didn't include them in the photo, there were dozens and dozens of pieces.

My procedure to follow...sometime soon...:D :thumbsup:

Thank you very much. Could you reccommend a book for overhaul procedures for this engine ie. Haynes or Chiltons? Maybe one better?

Thank you very much. Could you reccommend a book for overhaul procedures for this engine ie. Haynes or Chiltons? Maybe one better?

I used a Chilton's manual for this job along with excerpts from a shop manual to which I have on-line access. I've used Haynes also, but I prefer Chiltons. The illustrations are better and the instruction is at a deeper level. There are some other things which need close attention during the rebuild. The short of it is, if you do not time the engine correctly, it may start, but it will run really poorly. The engine has no timing marks on it either. I will explain in my narrative.

Mr. H.

Thank you very much indeed for this information.
The pictures are quite informative and tell a story of their own.. but the narrative would be very useful too :)

The timing is my big issue at the moment.
I have the engine out of the beast :)
All of my guides look ok but they are being replaced along with the chains whilst I have them out.

Thank you very much for your time on this matter!!

Lee.

Todd, Di you use the camshaft alignment tool to set your timing, or did you make some "reference marks" for ease during re-assembly?

Todd, Di you use the camshaft alignment tool to set your timing, or did you make some "reference marks" for ease during re-assembly?

No reference marks, I have the tool kit. I used the kit to line up the components to proper time, if you follow the instructions, you won't have any issues. But listen guys, when I say follow all instructions, I mean just that. I did not follow them the first time and that resulted in a partial teardown and redo. So, if you are the type that thinks instructions are a waste of time, change you mind before you start this job.

Anyway, it (the tool kit) is currently up for sale. Retail on it is $201.00-283.00 depending on your retailer. I bought mine locally. I do not see a need to use it again, becuase if I need to, a new engine or vehicle will be in order for me, lol.

Seriously though. You cannot complete this job without the toolkit. It will hold the cams and crankshaft in place while you loosen and torque the bolts to spec. This turned out to be a pretty intense job. I thought that 62-65 ft. lbs plus 90 degress would be fairly easy...That second step of 90 degrees is a bit difficult. Without the tools holding everything in place it would be impossible to reach the torque value needed, let alone crank that extra 90 degrees.

Like I said, the kit is for sale. I bought it for the original owner, he used it for one rebuild as did I. If anyone is interested in purchasing it, PM me and I will give you all pertinent info as well as a price.

TMH

i think i was the one who said that little gem about making sure the cam shaft groove is level. any yes you can take that to the bank - however you do need the tools to set the timing as you need to use the chain tensioner tool in place of the oil based tensioner to push the chain guide / chain & thus turn the cam sprocket, to the correct place. + also doing up the bolt would be hard without effecting the sprocket without the tool - foresure!

check out my effort by searching on the following in this forum:
SOHC Complete Timing (Front + Rear) Chains + guids + tensioners etc

Back