Timing at 16^BTDC and...

not turbo

Reaction score
City, State
Everett WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 Bronco 2
...it runs pretty well.

Consider: 1987 B2, 2.9l, timing mark physically checked for TDC, and has a white mark showing 10^BTDC...

Set the timing there as per both maintenance books and several web sites, truck runs OK until ~35, then gets gutless.

Re-set the timing so it's at 16^BTDC and it runs great. Passes emisions, everything.

Any conjectures as to why..?

...it runs pretty well.

Consider: 1987 B2, 2.9l, timing mark physically checked for TDC, and has a white mark showing 10^BTDC...

Set the timing there as per both maintenance books and several web sites, truck runs OK until ~35, then gets gutless.

Re-set the timing so it's at 16^BTDC and it runs great. Passes emisions, everything.

Any conjectures as to why..?

You pulling the SPOUT connector out when setting the timing?

I found that 10 was a bit gutless, but having it set at 12 made it feel like a different truck. No difference at 14 so I left it at 12.

You pulling the SPOUT connector out when setting the timing?

I found that 10 was a bit gutless, but having it set at 12 made it feel like a different truck. No difference at 14 so I left it at 12.

Yes, did that.

Mine didn't like 12* in the summer time, it would ping a little bit so I dropped it down to 10* again, 12* didn't really seam to make hardly any difference anyways.

Back