Timing Chain Cover Coolant Leak

FGH

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Timing Chain Cover Removal

What I've got is a 96 with an OHV V6. A coolant drip started and got worse so in I go. It seemed to be coming from the water pump so that was replaced but I could hear the drip again before I got it refilled. :mad: Well on more inspection I find that its coming from the timing chain cover. I go to the Haynes and it says to pull the engine, then the oil pan and then take the cover off. Well I've taken covers off engines before with similar designs and didn't have to pull the oil pan or the engine. Has anyone gotten one of the covers off before with the oil pan in place? Since I was going that far I'd be inclined to replace the chain and gears also. Does the bottom sproket come off with the pan on? THANKS!!!

how did this turn out I have to work on my 97 and would appreciate the knowledge you gained.

I am in a similar situation. I am hoping its intake gaskets instead as I have read the same "note". IIRC from old posts, you don't have to pull the engine .... but you do have to drop the oil pan cause there are two bolts holding the front cover on.... so you might be able to just raise the engine enough to drop the pan enough to undo those two bolts..... BUT I haven't tried this as the intake gaskets sit on the work bench. :) For now, I put some stop leak in the rad and it did (since late fall).

Back