Timing Chain Cover leak - Options? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Cover leak - Options?

cfra7

Reaction score
City, State
Rocklin, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Hi,

I’m hoping you can offer me a chance to keep my 1997 E.B. Ford Explorer (216K) on the road for another 20K miles without spending $900.

I have a timing chain cover leak. The leak is bad enough to drain all coolant in the truck in a week. I have been quoted 9 hours of labor to fix the leak. As the value of the truck is about $2,800 I’m resistant to spending $900 to keep it running. Can’t afford a replacement at this time.

Is there any chance that using Bars Stop leak or any other product might reduce the loss to something manageable? Perhaps a quart a week? Other options? I don’t have any water in the oil. The mechanic doesn’t feel that there is any problem with the water pump. I did a search and only found instructions on how to replace the gasket.

Thanks

Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine?

It's the 302, however It looks like the problem may be solved.

I picked up the Explorer yesterday and brought it home. I let it cool for an hour and added 3 quarts of water to top it off and then the GM stop leak tablets recommended by a friend. I let the truck idle for 10 minutes and then took it for a 20 minute drive. I then refilled the truck and put a pan under it to catch any leaks. After 30 minutes I could only find 1 drop of water.

I then let the truck set for another hour and no new drips were observed. It was then time to pressurize the system again. After idling for 10 minutes, I found a handful of drops on the pan. Close inspection revealed that those drops were coming from the hose that leads to the overflow tank. I cut the old end of the hose to get a tighter fit. I ran the truck again for 15 minutes and no new drops.

I inspected the drip pan again this morning and found no water drops. I drove the truck to work and will see when I get home if any noticeable water loss has happened. Please note that I was losing 2 quarts a day. My goal is to just get that to 2 quarts a week.

So far, so good. Now can I get the track to 240K miles?

Should had bought a Dodge Durango they last longer

How hard is to replace a timing cover gasket on a 99 explorer 4.0 ohv with 145k,miles

Should had bought a Dodge Durango they last longer

I think 216K on the origional motor and trans is not too bad. I didn't buy the Exploer, my girlfriend did. However, Im happy with it.

She wanted an SUV and I needed a tow vechacle for my race car. The race car has been sold and I bought the Explorer from her as a daily driver. My goal was 275K on the origional motor and trans. I now think I'll reduce its use from 15K miles a year to 5K miles and try and get it to 240K and then retire it. We'll see.

How hard is to replace a timing cover gasket on a 99 explorer 4.0 ohv with 145k,miles

I'm not much into working on cars. My friends would always say that it was strange that I would be a racer but not want to trun a wrench. I always replied that I like steak but I don't want to raise cows. I'll do minor stuff, but anything that takes over an hour, I just send it to the shop. It's just hard to part with $900 on a truck worth less than $3,000. However, I would do it if it gets me another year of service. Last year I spent $600 on repairs.

Back