timing chain how to | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

timing chain how to

lifttruck2008

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
i thought i found the front side how to for the 4.0 timing chains before, but the search is not giving me any results. I did find the link to the rear timing chains that drops the trans, which is pretty smart. Anyways a link to the front side how to would be great, thats in advance. 2001 sport trac 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the search function on here is a joke. tried timing, chains, cassette and several variations with no useful results.

I would just take it to the shop. but again I dont have a garage full of tools :)

I have the rattle and have 107K miles. My 01 Ranger had this done under warranty at a dealership, they ended up having it for a month because they miss timed it 2x and had to have the heads redone each time. So if a dealership tech had this much trouble I'm staying away from it myself. My only question I have, and I haven't really seen it discussed is what happens if you just live with the noise? How many miles do people still get out of these noisy engines that haven't done the timing chain upgrades? My view is if you can get 150K (or more) out of it and the chain breaks then just get whole new engine because the engine is probably mostly wore out anyway.

i actually tore it all apart this past weekend with 125k on the clock with the tsb never being done. The noise that i thought was the chain was a bearing failing on the tensioner idler pulley. No harm done thought as i am happy my 2500-2700 mile only changes are keeping the tensioner alive. I was really curious to see the condition of the front tensioner. Was in excellent shape along with the cam tensioner. I dropped the bottom oil pan to check for pieces from the rear cassette but found none. All i ended up doing in replacing the front timing seal, water pump in easy enough to get to so i just cleaned and reinstalled the original. I didn't even drop the upper oil pan, i just carefully cleaned the gasket surface and applied rtv to original locations on the timing cover (in front and corners) happy to say i have had no leaks with 250 miles on it since i opened it up. Now I have to decide wether to keep the timing tool kit or resell it.

Back