• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain issue

Lwhite0050

Reaction score
City, State
Hopkinsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ford Explorer xlt
I have 2010 ford Explorer xlt. From timing chain guides broke. So I had the front chain sprockets tensioner replaced. Truck was running fine with no timing chain noise or a miss. Then the motor made a noise and shut off. Any suggestions to what took place

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

contrary to what google may say these ARE interference motors if its a v6. most likely it jumped time. only way to know is to pull the head and inspect. did nothing get out of place when you did the tensioner replacement? oemtimes if both guides break it can jump one sprocket so its out of time but not enough to hit a valve, btu once it gets the opportunity.. then its valve to piston. at least if tis timing related. could be anything liek fuel pump CKP etc. any codes?

contrary to what google may say these ARE interference motors if its a v6. most likely it jumped time. only way to know is to pull the head and inspect. did nothing get out of place when you did the tensioner replacement? oemtimes if both guides break it can jump one sprocket so its out of time but not enough to hit a valve, btu once it gets the opportunity.. then its valve to piston. at least if tis timing related. could be anything liek fuel pump CKP etc. any codes?
So he went back in the motor and discovered the gear had broke he said he didn’t remove that because it was said it could still be used and didn’t come with the kit. Is it Something my mechanic did wrong????

Fix4dirt is right on the money. My question is how long after the fix did the engine make a noise and stopped running?? Also what type of noise did the engine make?

So he went back in the motor and discovered the gear had broke he said he didn’t remove that because it was said it could still be used and didn’t come with the kit. Is it Something my mechanic did wrong????
gear? the teeth broke? thats extremely rare! i havent heard that before... yikes then probably jumps tome

I have 2010 ford Explorer xlt. From timing chain guides broke. So I had the front chain sprockets tensioner replaced. Truck was running fine with no timing chain noise or a miss. Then the motor made a noise and shut off. Any suggestions to what took place
Could be any part that may not have been replaced during the timing repairs

Everything should have been replaced for timing. I mean. He's already in there and new parts aren't super expensive.

Fix4dirt is right on the money. My question is how long after the fix did the engine make a noise and stopped running?? Also what type of noise did the engine make?
Ran fine for about 5 minutes then shut off

Ran fine for about 5 minutes then shut off
no ticking before? no nothing? i mean sometimes it just drops. usually there'll be startup rattle or somehting leading up to it, but i have heard cases where one second its running next second its crickets. only way to know definitively is to pull heads and see if piston met valve since idk how ot tell if its out of time by pulling the timing cover or VC since iirc theres no alignment marks im aware of

Back