Timing chain kit replaced still rattling and getting worse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain kit replaced still rattling and getting worse

Taxer

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton
Year, Model & Trim Level
13 pi
Replaced chains, guides, tensioners , waterpump and crankshaft pin. Sounded ok at first, but rattling again.... changed oil twice with flush, thinking plugged up oil screen. Next getting tool to check oil pressure. It's got to be the main chain tensioner that is powered by the oil pressure. Don't want to tear this down again... parts from Cloyes, did I get a lemon tensioner?? Dirty oil screen, bad oil pump? No leaks anywhere... Man that timing cover will be hard to get off with all that great gasket sealer I used...

Yep, any constructive advice or ideas for further testing much appreciated before I have to crack it open again...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe the VCT's?? they can either have internal problems or the screen in the control solenoids can plug up causing issues.

Maybe the VCT's?? they can either have internal problems or the screen in the control solenoids can plug up causing issues.
I pondered that... not knowing what vvt malfunction might cause. This unit has 4 vvt selenoids; intake and exhaust on the L and R sides.
Someone mentioned to me the actual cam phaser could cause it, but I would guess malfunction of the vvt's would cause the phasers to cause this noise?
It would be a much easier attempt to replace, as it is not necessary to remove the timing chain cover and everything bolted on it.... just valve covers for the L and intake and valve cover for the R.

Popped the L valve cover off and noticed slack in the main timing chain. Please tell me if you know better, but slack would mean the chain tensioner on the R lower side engine is not doing its job?? Now could it be a bad tensioner? Low oil pressure not pressurizing the hydraulics in it? Or something else?

New timing chain kit from Cloyees and new waterpump. New crankshaft pin put in.

Can't believe a vvt camshaft sensor or even the vvt phaser can cause the slack?

At least now I know where the clanking is coming from, but I don't know where to start, if they were defective parts then I'd know what to replace. Either way, OEM Ford parts from now on...

I always tend to "over repair" If I were in there it would be getting everything including all four VCT's kind of like pulling a transmission for a bad throw out bearing and not putting a new clutch in there while you have the transmission out. I haven't seen very many VCT's on the sideways 3.5's but noise on start up has been a issue on the turbo versions in F150's.

Popped the L valve cover off and noticed slack in the main timing chain. Please tell me if you know better, but slack would mean the chain tensioner on the R lower side engine is not doing its job?? Now could it be a bad tensioner? Low oil pressure not pressurizing the hydraulics in it? Or something else?

New timing chain kit from Cloyees and new waterpump. New crankshaft pin put in.

Can't believe a vvt camshaft sensor or even the vvt phaser can cause the slack?

At least now I know where the clanking is coming from, but I don't know where to start, if they were defective parts then I'd know what to replace. Either way, OEM Ford parts from now on...
I am going to ask, did you remove the pins from the tensioners after you got it all installed? I haven’t experienced a bad issue with cloyees products, as far as oem, they failed once as well too. It does sound like that tensioner is bound up or didn’t release, and it sucks going back in, let us know what you find.

I am going to ask, did you remove the pins from the tensioners after you got it all installed? I haven’t experienced a bad issue with cloyees products, as far as oem, they failed once as well too. It does sound like that tensioner is bound up or didn’t release, and it sucks going back in, let us know what you find.
I'm trying the snake oil approach right now till the weather turns engine treatment and maybe some trans fluid in an effort to clean the oil passages.... just letting it idle.

Lower pin was pulled, chain was nice and tight... maybe the phasers, or at least the one on the right side/front of vehicle? Or the main chain tensioner? Trying to do tests or find tests to eliminate as many possible parts as possible..

Chain still has the slack between the right phaser and waterpump.

I have looked at videos for 5.4l phasers to tell if they are off/spun, but not sure how to tell with these ones..

Ever have any problem with the adjacent sprocket? Thinking not much goes wrong with them.. small chain between them is nice and tight.

Still wondering about the oil passage to the large chain tensioner in the lower firewall side of the motor. Wish I had a diagram displaying oil flow to it, so I can make sure it's clear and clean.

Its parked and I'm afraid to really drive it seems like a waste right now, maybe too over cautious..

Replaced chains, guides, tensioners , waterpump and crankshaft pin. Sounded ok at first, but rattling again.... changed oil twice with flush, thinking plugged up oil screen. Next getting tool to check oil pressure. It's got to be the main chain tensioner that is powered by the oil pressure. Don't want to tear this down again... parts from Cloyes, did I get a lemon tensioner?? Dirty oil screen, bad oil pump? No leaks anywhere... Man that timing cover will be hard to get off with all that great gasket sealer I used...

Yep, any constructive advice or ideas for further testing much appreciated before I have to crack it open again...
The rattling is caused by the cam phasers. It is a common problem it seems. Some rattle at start up, some rattle all the time. I just replaced all four on my '14 Ex but I still putting it back together. Hopefully it will be quiet.

Back