• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain noise???

PEAR0119

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4
Well, I finally got all my accessory pulleys nice and quiet again including the alternator. Now, I am having a different issue which is very concerning. I am having a very similar noise/issue as stated in this thread, only thing is that the TSBs are all for 2nd gen explorers with the 4.0L.

The rattle noise only happens when the engine is cold, once it gets up to operating temperature the noise completely disappears. The noise is only present under engine load between 2500-3000 RPM, when in park or neutral there is no noise what-so-ever. The noise almost sounds like spark blowout and only started noticing it in the last 1000 miles or so.

Now, should I be overly concerned? Can the timing chain tensioner TSB occur on a 4th gen 4.0L? Or, is the issue somewhere else? I am really hoping that it is something other then the Tensioner issue. Other then this rattle noise between 2500-3000 RPM the truck runs like a champ.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The timing chain tensioners of every Explorer will have to be changed earlier or later. Sounds like yours have to be done now.

I watched a couple videos on Youtube and mine is nowhere near as bad as most of those videos but I can still hear it. only when engine is cold between 2500-3000 RPM. Would this be a job that I can do myself? Since the truck always gets parked for the summer, so I have all the time I need.

Also, I still have the Ford Extended warranty but am not sure if this repair would be covered. Looks like I will be making a trip to the dealership to find out.

I don't think that it's a job you can do by yourself. You need special tools and a lot of knowledge. And it's easy to ruin your engine by trying this job.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I think this warrants a trip to the dealer and try to make them own up to their extended warranty. It will cost $100 either way for them to even look at it so why not, and hopefully it will be covered under the warranty.

How many kilometers did your Explorer run?
At your dealer it should not cost a 100 $, because the only thing he can do to diagnose what's on, is to listen to the noise that's coming from your driving chains. There is no other way to check it.

Sounds like the timing chain. Mine makes those same sounds. Although I just switched over to synthetic, and its all quiet again. If you don't run synthetic give it a shot to quiet it down if they won't do anything.

I have around 47,000 miles (75,000 km). I was really hoping that this wasn't the issue since apparently Ford had fixed the issues back in the early 2000's. But, it is what it is. The $100 is the deductible for the warranty granted that everything is covered by the extended warranty. and if it isn't covered by the warranty it will cost me $119 for them to just diagnose the issue.

Back