Timing Chain on 4.0 SOHC HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain on 4.0 SOHC HELP!!!

john08007

Reaction score
Hey guys, I think I know the answer but figured I'd ask some guys that have a lot more experience with this engine then I have. The story starts with a tapping sound when I rev'd the engine. I figured it was probably valve lifters, bought the tool to put them in and started with the driver side. After that side was complete I moved onto the right side. After I took off the valve cover I was assessing my plan of attack when I noticed that there was some slack on the timing chain. upon further inspection I could see that the chain tensioner was broken(which is located on the outside side of the engine. The slack was on the inside side of the chain, I imagine there must be a tensioner down below to tighten that side. Question is, what am I looking at? I'm thinking I have to pull the engine and replace the timing chain guides, are there any other(easier) ways? roughly how long is it to pull this engine?

HELP!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the engine or transmission must come out. It is much easier if you remove the engine. Fairly expensive parts needed and a timing chain tool kit. Many people elect to replace the entire engine with a newer Mustang donor engine.

thanks for the info, I didn't even think of taking out just the transmission, do you think it would be possible if I removed just the trans/transfer? I figured I would just replace the broken guides/tensioner and not mess with the chain so I shouldn't need the tool kit since I'm not taking the chain off, correct? It was running up untill I took it apart to replace what I thought were bad lifters. I'm surprised there wasn't any lights on.

Use the search function. There are a couple threads here that detail the timing chain replacement complete with pictures. If one guide is bad, all likely have damage. There is also a hydrolic tensioner on the passenger side at the rear. This is a frequent failure on the SOHC. Don't know of any way to get the tensioners and guide all replaced without the kit. A user named 2000streetrod has some excellent info on this. Several people say you can access the rear (passenger side) chain/guides/tensioner by removing the transmission but access will still be very limited. The chains themselves and the sprokets don't usually need replacement so I would expect a few hundred dollars in parts.

broken rear guide

The plastic type guide assemblies are no longer available as an individual item. You have to purchase the entire cassette (guide assembly, sprockets & chain). See SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs
RFrnt.jpg

RRear.jpg

I prefer the Ford OEM part. Some members have been satisfied with less expensive sources. See SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Sources
The rear guide assembly cannot be replaced without removing the camshaft sprocket. That means the camshafts will have to be retimed which is normally done with the OTC-6488 tool set. See SOHC V6 Rear Cassette Replacement

A few members have replaced the rear cassette by removing the transmission instead of the engine. Most had access to a vehicle lift to allow easier accessibility.

Back