• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain PN for replacement

Sandman92

Reaction score
City, State
SWEET HOME, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EX V8 AWD Eddie Bauer
Hi guys, new to the forum. I have a 1999 explorer xlt with 245k on the original engine and timing components. I need to pull the engine anyways because I'm sure theres a ton of stuff in the oil pan I decided to go with a low mileage 4.0 put of a 98 explorer. I want to update all the timing components on the 98 motor but im having a hard time tracking down what is exactly needed. Does anyone know what I need gaskets tensioners etc. I'd rather have all the correct parts order rather under/over order. Do I need to replace the chains or just the tensioners and guides? Thank you and happy easter!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys, new to the forum. I have a 1999 explorer xlt with 245k on the original engine and timing components. I need to pull the engine anyways because I'm sure theres a ton of stuff in the oil pan I decided to go with a low mileage 4.0 put of a 98 explorer. I want to update all the timing components on the 98 motor but im having a hard time tracking down what is exactly needed. Does anyone know what I need gaskets tensioners etc. I'd rather have all the correct parts order rather under/over order. Do I need to replace the chains or just the tensioners and guides? Thank you and happy easter!
Hi! Assuming it's an sohc, i think i have the part numbers... i'm prob not doing the chains themselves, as they are still functional, but one of the guides went out on me... these are the items i'm purchasing to do the job... (i also purchased some maximum oil resistance gasket maker)

timing cover gasket: 1L2Z-6020AA
chain guide: 2L2Z-6K297-AA
tensioner: YL2Z-6K297-BC
balance shaft guide (not doing tensioner because i can't get to them) F77Z-6K297-BC
hydraulic tensioner: 6L2Z-6K254-A 6L2Z-6K254-B

this is what i'm ordering to do just the guides and tensioner, since i'm not pulling the engine... hope this finds you well!

Hi! Assuming it's an sohc, i think i have the part numbers... i'm prob not doing the chains themselves, as they are still functional, but one of the guides went out on me... these are the items i'm purchasing to do the job... (i also purchased some maximum oil resistance gasket maker)

timing cover gasket: 1L2Z-6020AA
chain guide: 2L2Z-6K297-AA
tensioner: YL2Z-6K297-BC
balance shaft guide (not doing tensioner because i can't get to them) F77Z-6K297-BC
hydraulic tensioner: 6L2Z-6K254-A 6L2Z-6K254-B

this is what i'm ordering to do just the guides and tensioner, since i'm not pulling the engine... hope this finds you well!
Are the chains in the newer engines the same? Just tensioners are updated? The good engine I'm getting has no noises it's at around 145k If i do not need to purchase chains i wont.

I'll use this to document my motor replacement, I got a spare motor for a steal! Ran with no issues about 145k on it. I plan to clean it and replace the tensioners all around and run it. The intake looks like it has a few minor differences but seem straight forward. Most my experience with engines are international diesel and gas engines, so I'm used to gears not chains. This looks like a pretty fun project though!

Attachments

• 20200412_193625.jpg
    20200412_193625.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 87

not 100% sure, but im pretty sure the chains are the same, only the guides, tensioners have been changed... Best of luck with your project!!!

oh, also i would reccomend doing the rear main seal since the engine is out, as mine is leaking slightly, and to make sure that the tranny looks ok...

I ended up finding the PN from Ford for a kit. Its gonna come with all new chains and guides. I'll post the PN later tonight. I also ordered a reseal kit for the motor to clean and reseal it. Head gaskets weren't leaking so I'm not gonna touch them.

Heres where I got all the PN's

Nice! Didnt know about that, but i wasnt going to do the chains on mine anyways... glad you found one though!!

@koda2000 is doing this very job rite now
Perhaps he has all the updated part numbers

@donalds yea... it should still work, but you might not be able to find the parts at as many places... i think all my pns are up to date, as i found these 2 weeks ago... it still works on tousleyfordparts.com tho...

Below is the Ford timing chain kit I bought off eBay. $534 + tax w/free shipping. There is no one kit sold that includes everything needed and the cost of gaskets alone is over $300 for the full Fel Pro upper and lower sets. There will be other things you will need that are not part of any kit. There are also TTY bolts that you will need to replace. There are special tools recommended and regular tools needed that you may not have. It gets expensive real quick working in this engine. I have a full list of parts I've had to source/purchase, but I had the added expense of having to replace 2 cracked cylinder heads. My total parts and materials bill is currently around $2200-$2300 which includes my free labor.

FORD OEM TIMING CHAIN KIT EXPLORER 4.0L V6 SOHC 1997-2010 4L2Z6M290AA 7U3Z6A257A

Here is what I ordered! Off the top of my head I think the cam bolts are tty and the crank is too. I got both the special tools I need to remove the rocker followers and the tool to time the cam.

This guy has a 4 part series on removal and procedures to repair the timing components it's very in depth and well worth the time to watch

Here is my parts list:
Screenshot_20200414-054356_Email.jpg

nice! that should be everything you need! (except for the oil, transmission fluid, coolant etc...) best of luck!

Motor is out! Had a few friends help me besides a missed bolt in the bell housing it all went smoothly. New motor is torn down and I'm awaiting the new parts and tools needed.
You can see a guide broke apart in the new motor and made its way to the cradle.
20200414_175739.jpg
20200414_175735.jpg
20200414_175728.jpg

ah yes, i see... other than that issue, looks like a relatively good engine given all the photos so far! Best of luck!

"Missing transmission bolt..." If you'er talking about one of the 2 upper-most bolts. I thought the same thing when I pulled my engine, but then I noticed that the engine block is not even drilled/tapped for that bolt. Weird, but there must have been a reason that Ford did that.

IDK if Ford used a metal oil pickup tube and screen housing on the '99. Mine (a late production 2001 Job 2 SOHC) had a plastic tube and screen housing. If Ford did use plastic on the first SOHC engines then it would appear that someone's been in that engine in the past and replaced the oil pump.

When searching for Ford OE timing sets I'd looked at the OGATTI kit (which was a little less expensive than the OE kit I bought, but in comparing part numbers between the 2 kits there were a couple of parts that had slightly different part numbers. For that reason I decided to go with the other seller's kit, which had excellent customer satisfaction ratings. IDK if the differences were typo's or a real difference, but I did watch one video where the DIY re-builder found a difference in a gear in the kit he purchased. If he'd not noticed the difference in chain alignment he would have had a big problem. I just suggest you closely compare you new parts to you old parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Missing transmission bolt..." If you'er talking about one of the 2 upper-most bolts. I thought the same thing when I pulled my engine, but then I noticed that the engine block is not even drilled/tapped for that bolt. Weird, but there must have been a reason that Ford did that.

IDK if Ford used a metal oil pickup tube and screen housing on the '99. Mine (a late production 2001 Job 2 SOHC) had a plastic tube and screen housing. If Ford did use plastic on the first SOHC engines then it would appear that someone's been in that engine in the past and replaced the oil pump.

When searching for Ford OE timing sets I'd looked at the OGATTI kit (which was a little less expensive than the OE kit I bought, but in comparing part numbers between the 2 kits there were a couple of parts that had slightly different part numbers. For that reason I decided to go with the other seller's kit, which had excellent customer satisfaction ratings. IDK if the differences were typo's or a real difference, but I did watch one video where the DIY re-builder found a difference in a gear in the kit he purchased. If he'd not noticed the difference in chain alignment he would have had a big problem. I just suggest you closely compare you new parts to you old parts.
The Kit I bought should be OE, they are from an online Ford dealer. The pickup tube is metal on this engine. Looking at it, it seems like it's been apart before the tensioner on the drivers side is the updated 6-ribbeb version. Regardless I ordered everything brand new. The original engine to the truck has never been touched in 245k miles! I would've cleaned that one up but since I happened to find a complete engine with all the accessories and a 100k less miles on it for only a couple hundred bucks it was a no brainer. I have about a week or so until the parts and tools come in so I have the oil pan and cradle sitting in the solvent tank. I'll most likely paint the block and heads after the engine is resealed.
A funny story... pulling the engine I dropped a socket in between the engine and tranny when I was taking the torque converter nuts off. "No biggy" I thought, I'll get it when i remove the engine. When i was cleaning up putting all the sockets etc away i couldn't find the socket. I remember where it fell and didn't see it. I pulled the torque converter and still didn't see it. Looks like I have a socket rolling around somewhere! Lol

Back