Timing chain PN for replacement | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain PN for replacement

if it's the primary tensioner, you can keep the engine in... that's my summer project, it will probably be a few weeks, but i'll probably make it a few months replacing junk i don't have to...
Yeah the tensioner got rock hard, I even tried putting it in a vice to try to compress it and it didn't want to budge. I'd reccomend not priming it lol. I may have to get a new one since the old one wont compress and I dont want to risk pulling the threads...again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get it from ford

well new tensioner and head in still the same issue... idk maybe low oil pressure? Side note what's this plug go to? On the drivers side below the battery

Attachments

• 20200428_154249.jpg
    20200428_154249.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200428_154247.jpg
    20200428_154247.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 61

Could be a few things but I think it may be for the a.c. clutch

That's plugged in, its round style. I'm not seeing anything near it that needs a plug. Lol
What troubleshooting should I follow to check this engine. It's got a pretty good rattle still. I think the tensioners aren't getting enough oil pressure. I took the old one out it was still soft, put another that was primed and rock hard it was quiet for a bit then went back to rattling.

It was the AC clutch.
Well I think I may just go with manual tensioners like on the Polaris engines. I should probably check to see if my oil pressure is ok but I'm not terribly worried because of how fast it jumped up when the engine was completely dry at first startup. I found these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5574912417&icep_item=323866567305

One in the front and one in the back. Any other suggestions on this? Kinda frustrating considering all the chains guides and tensioners are brand new.

Heres a video of the engine

maybe, if it fits, use a higher pressure oil pump, but not too high where it will stress the components... i believe some engines use a higher pressure... or just replace the oil pump and see if that remedies it. NOTE: this only works if you know that it is due to lack of oil pressure... i would recommend testing it... also, it should be significantly be above 19-20 psi at 3k...

kind of sounds like the hydraulic tensioner to me... not a metal clinging like mine... hydraulic tensioner??? that's what i think, but i might be wrong... hope this helps!

That's the tensioner for sure
Drop your lower oil pan and check out the oil pickup tube screen for clogging

That's the tensioner for sure
Drop your lower oil pan and check out the oil pickup tube screen for clogging
I may. I did clean it out very well whe. I have it out. There were big ol chunks in there. I think first I'll check oil pressure. The gasket kit I bought never came with a gasket for the lower oil pan so i had to use rtv. That thing is pretty much glued together.

oof... i got a felpro gasket for like 10 bucks if i remember right.. or was it 15 idk from amazon... maybe put one of those in if you take it off and put a gasket back on lol...

I'm gonna check oil pressure before taking the pan off. I cleaned the pickup tube and the motor when it was torn down. If the oil pressure is low my money Is on a weak pump.

yup... and if thats the case... engine out again... :( hope its that, or it could be clogged as a result of the "grit" from the worn tenioners

Well I took the drivers side tensioner out and that bad boy was all the way out and tight! I'm pretty curious now why I still have a rattle? It's pretty loud and comes from the front.. I wonder if the new chain was made a little to long? I'm not sure?? I'm about to pull my hair out with this engine, I'm not sure why with all new Ford parts this it still an issue.

Well I took the drivers side tensioner out and that bad boy was all the way out and tight! I'm pretty curious now why I still have a rattle? It's pretty loud and comes from the front.. I wonder if the new chain was made a little to long? I'm not sure?? I'm about to pull my hair out with this engine, I'm not sure why with all new Ford parts this it still an issue.

Could it be the hydraulic tensioner? the one behind the thermostat housing? if you haven't replaced them or inspected them, that might be the case...

Could it be the hydraulic tensioner? the one behind the thermostat housing? if you haven't replaced them or inspected them, that might be the case...
That one has had 3 different ones installed in that place, same issue. I'm gonna pop the front of the engine apart to look at it everything, but I'll probably wait a few days. It seems like I missed something that's simple.

alright! i didnt know there nare 3... i thought one behind thermostat housing and one on the block right above the exhaust manifold or something...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back