• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain recall

Cowboy7471

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sport
I have a 1999 ford explorer 4x4 4.o sohc rattle is there a recall on these thru ford

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No.

Lol could you imagine if there was a recall. That would be a nightmare for Ford
Lol every 2nd 3rd and 4th gen that had the sohc lol that would be more horrible then the chip shortage.

Way back when, probably about 2 years after I bought my 98 new, there was some kind of good will policy. I read about it somewhere online (possibly here) and took it into the dealer and they replaced the original set up with an upgraded version for free. But I doubt that totally eliminated the issue or the SUV's from 2001 on would not have had the issue. But on the other hand the 98 has around 150K on it now and the engine is the least of it's issues.

Somebody here should know the story better than I do.

Way back when, Ford replaced my motor in a warranty attempt to resolve timing chain issues. That was at 90,000 miles.… I am not sure they even understood the problem. Or at least they did not talk like they understood the problem.

I had no confidence in my 97 SOHC Ford at the time… but that was almost 500,000 miles ago.

A few TSB's through the years. About it.

Lol could you imagine if there was a recall. That would be a nightmare for Ford
Ford has a Chapel at the production line were corporate goes hoping everyone is dead or insane with the lock down,
that have been driving the 4.0 SOHC by now, so as not to report in on the SOHC.....and blame the driver during their
quite time in the Chapel...............of SOHC events and other events like the 4.0 OHV thin head design....this stuff must have been
to keep service dept open.............A thin head design......get real....A multi billion dollar ops and make a the head
cooling walls to thin.....

I have a 1999 ford explorer 4x4 4.o sohc rattle is there a recall on these thru ford
I believe there was at least one TSB, and I think it included plugging or restricting an oil port on the chain tensioner located near the thermostat housing.

Yep, follow-on engines came from the factory with that restrictor.

I did the front tensioner in my 2010 Ranger motor and went to install the restrictor from the 00M12 kit but one was already installed.

My timing recall is use manual tensioner s
I am running them on the 04 xlt now
So nice to just hear it start without worrying

That’s my next one. I already had one oil tensioner this time, so I just went ahead and did both. Next time I go mechanical.

Get the cloyes kit. Did my 06 and its been a gem ever since.

We had another guy here install the Cloyes kit and his valvetrain exploded after a few miles, wrecking the engine.

OEM or bust for engine internals, IMO.

I have personally had good luck with cloyes. Did mine right at over 100k ago and only thing i have changed on it since was the fuel pressure sensor. An a leaking heater valve, i really think that all ive done to that truck been a good one. I do have to agree though i mean if you can go oem go for it your never going to beat Oem stuff period unless your going performance minded in areas.

My timing recall is use manual tensioner s
I am running them on the 04 xlt now
So nice to just hear it start without worrying
The Donald.......I was going to use the manual tensioners, but did understand how far to go on the
adjustment.......Which is the question.......could feel as you slowly tighten the tensioner when you hit it
and then a 1/4 turn or what?????
thanks

Ok ill try
Disassemble the tensioner and put a bit of oil in t so the o ring can move around when you adjust

Adjust the tensioner most all the way loose ...or in
Then install it into the head
Screw the tensioner adjuster 10mm
Use your hand and a 10mm socket to turn in the adjustment screw with 2 fingers till it stops
Do not use a ratchet !!
Now have someone turn the engine by hand till you feel the adjusting screw get looser
Then adjust again

Now disconnect the crank sensor
Have someone crank the engine with the starter
While you keep trying to screw in the adjustment in by hand with 2 fingers
It will screw in a little at a time

never put much force turning that screw like almost no force required
We are just removing the slack that's it

Now the last part
start it and adjust you will feel the pulse of the valve springs
Again use just a 10 mm socket and your to fingers
Once you feel the pulse ing stop your there shut down the engine

Last step
Back off your 10 mm adjustment 1/4 turn
Lock it down
done

Any ?s

Ok ill try
Disassemble the tensioner and put a bit of oil in t so the o ring can move around when you adjust

Adjust the tensioner most all the way loose ...or in
Then install it into the head
Screw the tensioner adjuster 10mm
Use your hand and a 10mm socket to turn in the adjustment screw with 2 fingers till it stops
Do not use a ratchet !!
Now have someone turn the engine by hand till you feel the adjusting screw get looser
Then adjust again

Now disconnect the crank sensor
Have someone crank the engine with the starter
While you keep trying to screw in the adjustment in by hand with 2 fingers
It will screw in a little at a time

never put much force turning that screw like almost no force required
We are just removing the slack that's it

Now the last part
start it and adjust you will feel the pulse of the valve springs
Again use just a 10 mm socket and your to fingers
Once you feel the pulse ing stop your there shut down the engine

Last step
Back off your 10 mm adjustment 1/4 turn
Lock it down
done

Any ?s
Damn thats never been said.....need that on my everything tensioner post or what ever it was...You
out did your self "The Donald".........Go down to the ExplorerForum mess hall and get a free breakfast
for that.......extra toast and jelly....hell pick up a free socket set at the gift center....

Back