Timing Chain replacement 4.6- FAIL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain replacement 4.6- FAIL

hertfordnc

Reaction score
City, State
Hertford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.6 xlt
I accidently posted this on "modified' forum where it got no interest.

I've been at this for a few weeks. Finally got it all together today and started it up.
It was perfect for a while.

Ran great.

But after 20 minutes of running and driving a few miles it developed a ticking noise in the front. I popped the serpentine belt off in the hope that is was an accessory but it's definitely coming from the engine.

I bought the cheapest timing chain kit they had and i ended up using the old crank gear as the one in the kit was the wrong height. Everything else went right in.

I plan to add some ATF this evening and drive it a bit to see what this noise does.

Also, the kit came with these weird plates that went under the tensioners. Looked nothing like the OEM tensioners,

guides.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can make a YouTube vid and share a link or the title of the vid

If you can confirm it's coming from the front cover I'd pull those tensioners off and put some original ones back in there. Were the ones that came off the engine plastic or metal body originally?

This is a 4.6. The original guides were aluminum backed with plastic. Just like the replacements.
The noise is a consitant tick.
The noise from the failed timing chain guides was random as the chain flopped around (and wore a hole in the cover)

I'm talking about the tensioners you pictured themselves. Around 2002 they switched from metal bodies to plastic bodies.

The old ones were metal. The engine came form a 2003 Explorer with 97000 miles. I doubt the timing chains had been done.

Were the old ones damaged from the bad chain guides? I'd consider putting the original ones back in, the ones with the metal bodies don't really go bad.

Did you clean the oil pump pickup after you did the chains? You could have low oil pressure.

Yes, one of the old tensioners was ground up.
No, i did nothing to the oil pickup.
I considered low oil pressure. It was really quiet for the first 30 minutes or so.
I went back and fired it up cold the next day and the noise was immediate.

Well if you think about all that aluminum and chain guide pieces had to go somewhere. I guarantee it's all in the pick up. I'd at least pull the pan and clean it out but consider redoing the whole job including replacing the oil pump. Sure you can keep the cheap guides in there if you want but I'd swap some better tensioners in there, new melling oil pump (not cheapo or you'll tear it apart a 3rd time) and clean pickup at minimum.

If I do timing chains on a customer's car and they don't want to pay extra to pull the oil pan to clean it out I don't give a warranty. Usually I won't do the job without doing it.

Thanks. Very good points. I really did consider what became of all those metal fragments. This was my wifes car. For several months she complained about the ticking and a burning oil smell. I figured the ticking was minor and the smell was probably valve cover leak onto the manifold and she was due for a new car. And i don't wrench on her car unless i know exaclty what I'm doing (alternators, starters, brakes)

So i get her into a new car and i take the Explorer and dive into these problems. The top of the timing cover has two large holes in it. THat accounts for the burned oil smell. the right tensioner is ground down to a stub and the guide is in peices.

I clean the debris as best i can and i figure i will change the oil every 500 miles for a few cycles and hope for the best.

But, now that i know i'm going back in, I guess i'll drop the pan. SHould i pull off hte pump too too?

To pull the pump you have to pull the timing chains back off. If you do that I suggest you replace the pump with a new one. Melling is the go to brand for Ford modular oil pumps.

Thanks. I think i'm gonna climb back in. I learned a lot. I can probably do it in one long day and with a new oil pump it will have a long life ahead.

Anything I need to know about swapping out the oil pump?

Once the timing gear is off the crank and the oil pickup is removed its just (3) 8mm bolts holding it on. It slides right off the crank. When installing the new one pour some oil in it and pay attention to the flats on the crank when lining it up.

SO i got home and fired it up and the noise never came back. I finished butting up a few things and took it for a ride. Ran great.
So i'm gonna drive it for a while and see what happens.

I'd still consider pulling the pan to clean debris

I don’t see it mentioned, but if you have a 2wd, taking the pan off is super easy. Would be foolish not too. If it’s 4WD/AWD, that’s more of a challenge.

I don’t see it mentioned, but if you have a 2wd, taking the pan off is super easy. Would be foolish not too. If it’s 4WD/AWD, that’s more of a challenge.

It is 4WD but it really needs to be done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SO a little research later.....
Apprently this is pretty diffcult. I may go a differnt route.

Back