• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Replacement Cost

drothgeb

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4
So this question is for any who have had a shop replace the timing chain guides and tensioners. How much did it cost? I have the death rattle and have been putting it off but I'd rather have it fixed and not have my x for a few days then be searching for a new engine.

Thanks!

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a quote for $3000 if the shop bought the timing setup, $1300 if I bought it. Got a kit from Parts4America (techgroupone) on EBAY for $300. I'm doing the replacing myself tho.

If you take it in you will be without your Ex for a few days anyway. Its a huge job, gotta pull the engine and dismantle it.

quality of components?

. . . Got a kit from Parts4America (techgroupone) on EBAY for $300. I'm doing the replacing myself tho. . .

Do you know the manufacturer of the kit?

How is the quality of the components?

Does the left guide assembly have metal reinforcement on the traction and slack side? If so, is the plastic bonded or clipped to the metal?

Does the right guide assembly just have plastic on the traction side? If so, is the plastic thin and warped or thick and straight?

I would love to be able to do it myself, but I live at an apartment complex and it forbids even washing your car there plus I wouldn't have anywhere to store the engine...$1,300 + parts isn't as bad as I would've thought. Thanks for the input.

I had that same problem. It was gonna cost me around 700 or 800 bux to have the rear chain replaced so I said ok but when the shop pulled the engine they found out that the chain had worn a large groove in the head and the front chain was bad too so I had them put in a new re-manufactured engine. That cost me 3000 for the engine and 1200 parts and labor. It was alot but I'm glad I did.

Is it common to have a large groove worn in if left for a while?

I wouldn't know if it was common but mine looked pretty bad and since the engine had over 200,000 miles on it I just had it replaced.

Back