• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Replacement

PHaTGRoB

Reaction score
City, State
Ruthin, North Wales, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Green '99 North Face
Can anyone in the North West or North Wales recommend a quality garage who can do timing chain replacements?
I am aware of one in Aylesbury and one in Newport which advertise but how good are they? They're also a long way away. It seems to be a common fault and there must be somewhere up this way who can do it for a reasonable price. Who has everyone else used?
Thanks, PHaTGroB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not aware of any in your area but the main 2 in Country are the 2 you have listed.

I know Justin in Newport has an excellent reputation in the area and on this forum and will change all the tensioners, guides, Jack shaft, Oil change etc etc for around £650 and you will not have any more problems as he uses the up to date modified items from Ford.

To do the whole job means engine out!

I was in Shotton yesterday - I could have driven in back for you LOL

Justin does offer collect and return service if that helps. He did mine and I have to say I was delighted with the results.

I'd recommend Justin as well, He's just outside of Newport and he did an excellent job on replacing all the chains on my Ex.

Thanks for your advice, this is great.
I am awaiting a price from WR Davies (main dealer) in LLandudno (who've done a few of these I understand) but am expecting it to be very big.
I'm not averse to driving long distances - in fact, I enjoy it - but it's a long way to go not knowing if the job will be done well.
Having said that, I've called Justin and I was happy whilst discussing this that he was OK but you never can tell on the phone. However, your very positive comments have helped a great deal. Unless Llandudno comes up with a similar price - which is unlikely to be honest, it looks like I'm off to Newport!!!

Hi there, first post for me, but i must recommend Justin as well. I drove down and had him change both timing chains and add the air intake rough idle kit. The car runs absolutely perfectly now. Justin is worth every penny.
He's right next to the seven bridge, so it's motorway all the way there. It's an easy journey and well worth it.

Thanks regorsmith . Great Yarmouth is a hell of a lot further that I've got to go. Starting to sound like a no-brainer!

Justin replaced the chains and tensioners this last weekend, as well as fitting new inlet manifold seals. 1 1/2 days was all he needed.
The Ex drove down well enough considering the rattly chains and the misfires but was smoothness itself on the return journey.
23mpg overall which, allowing for the rough running on the way down, was pretty good.
Thanks must go to Justin, who did an excellent job and was very helpful and so easy to deal with.
Had a good night in Newport too staying at the Travelodge in the city centre and visiting The Potters for a beer and live band ("The Polar Bears" - great South Wales band) on Friday night.
Anyway, the main thing is that the engine now runs really well and so quietly.
Job done.

Back