• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain replacement

bareddread

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 2WD
I have a 02' sport at 132,000 miles and i was wondering when if at all i should replace my timing chains. I've been looking around and i cant seem to find any solid information on it. Although there was a few threads saying they should last the life of the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they're not making noise, don't worry about it. Besides the chains themselves aren't the problem. It's the cassettes and tensioners.

Replacing the timing chain components is a huge job, requiring the engine to be removed. If you're planning to do the job yourself you'll need special tools. If you planning on paying someone to do the job for you the cost can easily exceed the value of your truck.

Bareddread, welcome to the club. My '98 is in excellent condition other than busted up timing cassettes. I'll probably pass 200k miles in the next few days. But Koda is spot on. I'd love to have the engine pulled and the chain cassettes fixed but that's a multi-thousand dollar job on my truck that is worth max maybe $1200. Just not worth it. When she finally goes her last mile, I'll kiss her on the hood and donate her to the local high school where they can wrench on her for the experience.

Listen to your engine at start up, that's when a failing timing chain tensioner reveals itself.
If the tensioner is bad you'll hear the chain rattle until the oil pressure builds up.

If you replace the 2 tensioners at this point you'll get a lot more life out of your chains and guides. It's not that difficult a job to do.

The tensioners by themselves that is, replacing the guides and chains is a huge job.

Is it really impossible to do it in the vehicle for the 6cyl? I can remove my v8 timing cover with just pulling nothing more than the fan and balancer.

Is it really impossible to do it in the vehicle for the 6cyl? I can remove my v8 timing cover with just pulling nothing more than the fan and balancer.

Not impossible.

But you'd have to take the transmission off to get to the rear chain.

If they're not making noise, don't worry about it. Besides the chains themselves aren't the problem. It's the cassettes and tensioners.

Replacing the timing chain components is a huge job, requiring the engine to be removed. If you're planning to do the job yourself you'll need special tools. If you planning on paying someone to do the job for you the cost can easily exceed the value of your truck.

Thanks for the reply!

My understanding is the '02s have the redesigned timing chain cassettes and do not have the same problems that the older engines have. I'm not an authority on this subject so if I'm wrong someone should correct me.

I'd heard that it wasn't until '05 until Ford redesigned the timing change cassettes. I could be wrong.

Back