Timing chain tensioners- help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain tensioners- help please

Brasilnut

Reaction score
City, State
Venezuela, South America
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt
I need a bunch of info in a hurry. I am located in Venezuela South America and need to have all my parts shipped to me cause where I'm at the parts supply is minimul. My 98 explorer is an xlt with about 64,000 miles on it. I am having the same timing chain noise that many have written about. The sound of the chain over a tin can. It is worse on start up and doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold. I think it is coming from the front of the engine but can't be sure. I'm also having problems with hesitation and eratic idle when cold. I'm guessing that is the problem with the intake gasket or one of those o-rings that I've read about. I have checked a bunch of threads about the 00M12 recall and the parts and the fixes. What I haven't found yet is a complete list of the parts needed including every o-ring and gasket. I can't afford the time or money to go in there twice and I don't have parts available here so I need everything on hand before I start the process. I want to do all the 00M12 fix plus anything else that should be fixed while I'm in there. LIke I said, if it might be bad or should be fixed at some point, I need to do it now. Thanks for any info or if there is a thread that gives all this info could you please post me a link to it. I'm an intermediate mechanic that can't afford being left hanging cause I'm missing a part and my engine is on a stand while the part is a week or two away. Thanks again for any help. If you have approximate prices with the parts list that would be awesome!

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about all the part numbers. Have you tried calling Ford's 800 number (not sure if you can from Venezuela)? I think the 00M12 replacement parts all come in one package, and I think it's described in the thread in which MikeH describes doing the work. Otherwise, like I said, try getting Ford directly and have them look up all the parts required to perform the 00M12 and 01M01 repairs.

thanks for the help guys.
Woodster- do you know if those part numbers are universal or are they just for UK Fords. If I'm ordering parts from the US are they going to use the same stuff?

Also...do I need to worry about replacing the other tensioners and the guides in both front and rear at this point. Do we have a problem with them going out as well. From what I can see with the 00M12 it only replaces the cam tensioner in the front but no guides and nothing in the rear. If I do the complete 01M01 which does the 00M12 plus the front guide (and I think the tensioner) and the noise goes away, can I assume all is well in the rear of the engine?
Thanks for your help guys!

The part numbers should be universal. When you order, they should be able to tell you whether the #'s match the parts. As for the rear guides, I think there have been some instances of those going, but not as prevalent. If you are going to pull the engine, then you may want to do it while it's out and have the peace of mind.

Thanks Tom,
I tried to order via the parts galaxy web sight and for some reason they cancelled my order. I was in a time crunch to get the part next day aired to a friend coming down here in a few days. They lost my business and didn't even comment as to why. Is there an company on line that I can buy this parts kit from and have it shipped to a courier service in Miami? That will be cheaper than them shipping international. I thought I saw a web sight mentioned in some thread but can't seem to find it again.
Thanks guys!
Tony

Try Torrie at FordPartsNetwork.com. Search and you should find exact email and phone number info on the site.

Thanks Tom,
I think I was able to get the parts on their way down. Now I just hope that this 00M12 kit will fix my whole noise issue. Would be nice to not have to pull the engine to do the rear tentioners.

Best of luck with it!

Hope it doesn't go as far as having to replace the rear (right) timing chain cassette (tensioner).. on a 2000 the engine has to come out. The front tensioner and the 00M12 can be done with the engine still in. I had BOTH the front and rear tensioners shred themselves by 83k. Ford dealership said they had never seen a rear one go before at their shop.

Thanks guys for your help! I was able to get the parts kit for the OOM12. I finished in just under 4 1/2 hours. The engine was really clean to start with so I had minimal problems with getting stuff off and back on. The write ups and help provided by this sight were without question priceless! My ratteling is gone! I am still experiencing alittle loping for the first 10 seconds of a cold start. Cold start is relative, more like the first start of the day. AFter 10 to 20 seconds it smooths out and is fine the rest of the day. Any ideas?
Now on to the 2 " TT lift and rear shackles! How big of a tire can I fit under it with only a 2" lift?

Thanks again!

Also...do I need to worry about replacing the other tensioners and the guides in both front and rear at this point. Do we have a problem with them going out as well.

From what I can see with the 00M12 it only replaces the cam tensioner in the front but no guides and nothing in the rear. If I do the complete 01M01 which does the 00M12 plus the front guide (and I think the tensioner) and the noise goes away, can I assume all is well in the rear of the engine?
Thanks for your help guys!
I am SO confused!!

How many Chains and Chain Tensioners does this stupid engine have anyways ??? Front ? Back ? LH ? RH ? WTF ?

Which one is the Primary Chain Tensioner ??

This engine has a total of 4 chains. Assume that you are standing in front of the Explorer and looking at the engine. There is #1 that runs from the crank to what they call the jackshaft. The jack shaft runs down the center of the engine above the crank. The right bank of cylinders (when viewed from the front of the vehicle) runs off the front end of the jackshaft (chain #2) while the left bank runs off the rear end of the jack shaft by chain number 3. The fourth chain runs on the front side of the engine and connects the crank to the balancing shaft (which sits low and to the left of the crank.) The tensioners that everyone is worried about are the ones that place tension on the number 2 and 3 chains running the cams off the jackshaft. The front tensioner is covered under the 00M12 recall. There are also chain guides on the front and rear for the cam chains. The front guide is covered under the 01M01 recall. The rear guide and tensioner I don't believe is covered under any recall and I'm assuming that there aren't many problems with those.

Hope this answers your questions. The fix really wasn't that hard. :D The parts amounted to about $50 from a Ford dealer.

Tony

My 98 Xr has 99,650 miles on it. I had the left bank tensioner replaced but the rattle came right back. I took it back to the dealer. The mechanic showed me the process on how they determine wether they fix it or not under 01M01 or not. The left bank cam surfaces have damage, but since the chain cassette had not broken, "FORD" decided that the repair would not be completed unless I forked out about $1300.00. :fire: The cam damage was due to lack of lubrication from the faulty tensioner which I had replaced at my cost. The dealer folks could not believe it. They had sent Digital pictures to a FORD Tech in Michigan where those decisions are made. The engineers said until the cassette breaks there is nothing they can or will do. I then called the "customer screwvice" center. The lady said that it is rare that the engineers ever change the decisions made. I will probably end up doing the repair myself. I now plan on taking this matter up the chain of command at FORD. Of course once my Xr reaches 100,000 miles Ford will tell me to kiss there Model A(ss). I like my truck...I owe to much to get rid of it...

Back