• Register Today It's free!

Timing chain tensioners

keesa59

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
The timing chain tensioners I purchased for my 1998 Explorer SOHC V6 are different to the original tensioners.
The pistons on the new tensioners are parallel where the original tensioners have a step down on the end of the tensioner piston.
The original tensioners have a gasket where the new ones do not.
It was suggested to me to use the old gaskets on the new tensioners but they do not fit.
The new tensioners will not screw in without compressing the tensioner spring, making the RHS rear tensioner difficult to fit.
Is it okay to use these new chain tensioners?

I don't know what you mean by the "step down" comment. There are lots of pictures on this site of what the tensioners should look like.

The "gasket" (assuming you mean the very thin metal washer) is pretty important for keeping it from leaking oil. The aftermarket ones I have seen don't come with them either. They have to be special ordered separately if you can't reuse the old ones.

You should have to compress the piston to get them back in. That is a good thing. If they go in without compressing the piston then your chain guides are already gone and you need to tear down the engine.

improved tensioners

The improved tensioners are shown below.
BWTens.jpg

The longer one is for the front/left side and the shorter one is for the rear/right side. I'm not aware of any later changes. I advise against reusing the compression ring since that will probably result in an oil leak. A replacement compression ring part number: XU2Z6M252AA
The compression ring will drop out of position and leak if not kept in place when tightening the tensioner. I used wheel bearing grease to keep it in place. It is very easy to cross thread the tensioner because of the spring pressure. I advise starting with just hand pressure for the first couple of turns.

Thanks for you response.
My original tensioners are different to the ones pictured.
What I mean by the step down is the end 1/4 inch of the tensioner piston is a smaller diameter than the rest of the piston.

71cD3wx6GmL._SX355_.jpg

This is not an actual tensioner but it is the same shape as the tensioners that came out of my Explorer

Back