• Register Today It's free!

timing chain tensioners

roger01

Reaction score
City, State
valparaiso, in
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Alright i changed both hydraulic tensioners on my 04 explorer. And when i start it i still have the rattling noise. It seems more pronounce in the front of the engine. What would you guys suggest it could be?? I was thinking the guide is bad or maybe the blade tensioner on the main timing chain. If its the guide is it possible to change sithout messing with the timing or removing the engine?? By the way i got a 04' with the 4.0l v6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of oil filter are you using?

What type should we be using? Does that effect noise with the tensioners ?

You should be using a motorcraft oil filter. Others dont have the anti drainback check valve. So the oil stays in the filter and gets to the tensioners quicker which prevents the rattle on cold start up.

My 2004 4.0L did this as well...I replaced both from and rear hydraulic tensioners with no change. I used the motorcraft oil filter mentioned above. A few weeks later the bolt holding the intermediate gear to the intermediate shaft, that drives the rear chains broke off resulting in valve train damage. What caused this to happen? Another member mentioned that he has seen this happen before in 4.0's that have worn out timing chain guides/tensioners etc. When I disassembled the motor, the guides were all badly worn. My front main guide assembly blade tensioner was snapped in half and laying in the bottom of the timing cover. It rattled pretty bad upon startup, and quieted down when I started driving. However, the rattling was almost always there sometimes quiet sometimes loud enough to make people look at me as I drove past them.

In my brief experience with my old motor, it's very hard to pinpoint where the rattling was coming from without taking off the front timing cover. I had a stethoscope all over the engine.

Ok yeah i was going to just change the front blade tensioner too just to be safe. And the guide also. Since i wont have to mess with the timing and dont have to remove the engine to replace. But my question is can you change the left side timing chain guide without removing the engine or head?

Back