timing chain | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

timing chain

Those restrictive manifolds will never leave you stranded, lunch your motor, or cause sickening buyers remorse. :laugh:

I prefer the 4r70w and the lower torque band for my application.

I also bought a 2002 Sport with a SOHC. Traded that in for a 2000 Limited SOHC which I sold to my parents. Speak from experience, not hearsay.

It's a learning process, like everything about any car. I own both a SOHC Explorer, and two 302 98's. I'm just into doing the SOHC timing stuff again(did it at 78,450 miles, now it's over 152k). When I get caught up with many things, I'm hopig to swap the SOHC for a built 302 and 4R70W.

The SOHC is a fine engine when running right, good power and fuel mileage. But if the care it receives is poor at any point, expect big issues with the timing etc. The external tensioners have springs inside of them, those will not last 150k, they get weak way sooner than they should(that's the initial start up rattle, that simple spring inside). The other tensioners and guides are not very robust, they are very flimsy thin components, which it's amazing to hear any last 100k miles.

Only by excellent care, plus some praying or good luck, will a SOHC last 200k miles untouched. Without those, that SOHC is going to have problems.

Back