Timing Cover Coolant Leak: Can coolant leak into oil pan? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Cover Coolant Leak: Can coolant leak into oil pan?

celsoglima

Reaction score
City, State
Hattiesburg, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT 3.0L
I have had a coolant leak at the timing chain cover, and I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me if there can be a leak inside the cover as well that would make its way into the oil pan. This leak has been going on for a while, and I haven't noticed any signs of coolant/oil mix on the dipstick or any of the oil changes I have performed since the leak started. However, it could be a barely noticeable amount for now that could become a more serious problem later on.
I am just trying to figure out if that is possibility or if that cover was designed to keep that from happening.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine?
2000 came with 4.0 OHV, 40 sohc or 5.0 ohv
No 3.0

Timing cover water leak's usually do not find their way into the oil pan, it would be a really strange water leak to be behind the timing cover
BUT we need to know what engine you have

What engine?
2000 came with 4.0 OHV, 40 sohc or 5.0 ohv
No 3.0

Timing cover water leak's usually do not find their way into the oil pan, it would be a really strange water leak to be behind the timing cover
BUT we need to know what engine you have
I am sorry it didn't cross my mind to include some info about the truck. :banghead: I have a 2000 model with the 3.0L V6 OHV engine, RWD and manual transmission. It is the model with the flex fuel configuration.

I haven't done any work to the truck yet, so I am just trying to have a better idea of what I could be up against. Thus, my only assessment is the external leak at the cover which is visible and made me wonder if an internal leak is also possible in certain cases. I haven't noticed anything in the oil yet, but it could be very small and barely noticeable. Do you believe that is not possible because of the design of the cover and how it is mounted on the engine block? Or is there another reason?

Okay thank you! My bad, I missed this was in the Ranger section.
The timing cover on the 3.0 engines is notorious for leaking coolant, unfortunately. The factory gasket disintegrates over time....not fun

The water passes through the timing cover on its way to the water pump. If it leaks at the rear gasket internally (timing cover to engine/coolant passages) then yes water can find its way into the oil pan. When you drain your oil take a small sample into a clean clear jar and let it sit. If there is coolant in the oil it will settle and you can clearly see the contamination.
When doing timing cover gasket replacement, we ALWAYS change the oil because it is possible to get water in the oil pan.
What I do is drain the oil, leave the drain plug out while I do the timing cover gasket, crank seal, oil pan and water pump gasket, this way any water that does fall into the pan will drain directly out. Once the repair is completed It is not a bad idea to then add half a quart of cheap oil down into the pan, then drain that out as well, this can catch any gasket material or water droplets and get them out before adding fresh oil and filter

Hope this helps

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I had already suspected I would have to change the oil based on some videos I have seen where some of coolant and even pieces of the gasket made their way into the oil pan when the cover was being removed. What I didn't consider, and which is an excellent idea, was to do the flush you recommended with some cheap oil just to be on the safe side.

safe side is my middle name! You are welcome
I use aluminum foil over the exposed oil pan while cover is off, but still some debris will fall in there and some coolant
Learn by doing!

Back