• Register Today It's free!

Timing Guides

mgknarf

Reaction score
City, State
center moriches
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xlt
Hi I'm new to the forum. I have a 2004 Explorer and the timing cassettes broke. I took the engine out and have a question? is the 4.0 SOHC a interference engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I'm new to the forum. I have a 2004 Explorer and the timing cassettes broke. I took the engine out and have a question? is the 4.0 SOHC a interference engine?
Most are saying NON-INTEFERENCE> I ain't sure...............

"Fortunately, the 4.0L SOHC is not an interference engine so a timing chain failure won’t bend the valves."

"Fortunately, the 4.0L SOHC is not an interference engine so a timing chain failure won’t bend the valves."

ok thats good news thanks

4.0L SOHC is DEFINITELY an interference engine. Proof is @2000StreetRod pictures. (Post#3)

Interference engine.

Interference. The older pushrod 4.0 may not have been.

DEFINITELY an interference engine

That's good news, mine blew apart too. The truck got me home, it was making a rattleing noise. Never got a check engine light, or power loss. Didn't even hear it till I was beside a truck. So I'm pretty sure it didn't jump timing. I took off the valve cover and found that the tensioner was pushing against what was left of the cassette. I found a guy who said he would do all 4 chains for $600. Before he picks up the truck, is there anything I should look for to make sure the engine is still good? I really don't wanna pull the heads, unless I have too.

That's good news, mine blew apart too. The truck got me home, it was making a rattleing noise. Never got a check engine light, or power loss. Didn't even hear it till I was beside a truck. So I'm pretty sure it didn't jump timing. I took off the valve cover and found that the tensioner was pushing against what was left of the cassette. I found a guy who said he would do all 4 chains for $600. Before he picks up the truck, is there anything I should look for to make sure the engine is still good? I really don't wanna pull the heads, unless I have too.
imo thats the only way to know definitively. and no that article imp tagged is WRONG! these are interference motors and @410Fortune and @2000StreetRod iirc have pictures to prove it!

i think you could put a borescope through the spark plug hole too to see if there is piston damage

Back