Timing issue?? Not sure... | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Timing issue?? Not sure...

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
One day while going down the road, my 94 ford explorer 4.0 died. It started right up again, and ran fine for a while until sputtering and choking out at speed. Now you can't go any faster than a creep, otherwise it bogs down and even with full throttle it doesn't do much.

I replaced the coil, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, and the entire egr system, as well as going over the vacuum system with a fine tooth comb(and fixed a few leaks)... nothing.
Its got proper fuel pressure (30psi).

At idle, it's a slight bit luggy(only noticeable by watching the engine rock slightly, not even visible on the tach), but runs fine if throttled up without a load. If you put it in gear and wait a second, it bogs down and lugs a lot. Going down the road, it does fine until warm, but when it is warm, it bogs down and even with full throttle it doesn't do much past 2k rpm. Once it didn't even come out of first gear

Like i said, idle looks normal, but... if you walk around to the tailpipe (stock exaust) there is a popping/whooshing sound that is fairly regular.

Anybody got any ideas? Please help, I'm stumped.:confused2::confused2:

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

roscoe 0202

Reaction score
City, State
salt lake city utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer sport
pull the codes
roscoe

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
I would, but there is no check engine light.

Besides, I cant get it to orielleys to get codes read anyway...

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
Pulled the cats off today... no difference.:dunno:

Anything else?