Timing Rattle/Royal Purple Oil Update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Rattle/Royal Purple Oil Update

travlincub321

Reaction score
City, State
Portland OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
So I have a 2000 XLT 4wd 4.0 SOCH with now 137,250 miles.... Did the first actual oil change under my ownership (i changed over to royal purple upon purchase) and I have to say I am really impressed at how well the lucas and the royal p oil keep the timing chains from rattling and keep them from such a dry start. I am using the lucas oil treatment (about 1/4 of a bottle per oil change) as well to help with dry starts on the chains

I KNOW I NEED TO EVENTUALLY fix them, but, for now, my rattle is very intermittent and there is seldom any noise on start up (again only if this thing has PMS). Only when its over like 80 degrees outside or the engine is in a mood.

I replaced my tensioners as well and that did nothing. However, the oil and additive do help.. It actually makes the engine run smoother (even with my funky idle), helped mpgs a tad and just makes the truck feel stronger. My MPG's are roughly 18/22 (350 or so city at 18.5 gal and 400 or so Hwy)..The highest I've recorded was 24 mpg (down to Tilamook and back through the mountains, I live in Oregon) and lowest was 17..... So an added benafit

I am trying a NAPA Premium Oil Filter which uses synthetic fiber insted of paper this oil change as well.. My interval is usualy 4K or 4 months.

Your mileage may vary but its worked very well for me... It is pricy, but hey, its worth it to see... And if i do have to pop a new engine in, its my fault.. But knock on wood, this seems to work well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

chain rattle

yes....!!! I know this problem well....
truck runs strong...rattles when warm....I was going to change the tensioners...but now I don't think I will....I have 162k....rattle started about 142k....hoping it holds on for a while til I can afford....
thanks for the imput!!!!

2000 E.B. 4x4

Its amazing the difference the oil makes.. I swear its a bit of a lubrication thing..The other part is some nimrod trying to save a few bucks and a few lbs and using NYLON and plastic where METAL belongs.. Let it be a tad noisier.. Let it weigh 5 lbs more.. Ill pay $20 more for metal guides and crap

It's always nice and quiet after an oil change and the Lucas Honey is adding viscosity.
Royal Purple has the worst long term protection as reported by Blackstone Labs.
You're only masking a problem.

Have you thought of using something like an Accusump?

It's always nice and quiet after an oil change and the Lucas Honey is adding viscosity.
Royal Purple has the worst long term protection as reported by Blackstone Labs.
You're only masking a problem.

I would agree with this, the Lucas crap is basically just extremely low grade heavy oil with no detergents or additives, all it does is dilute your additive pack in your oil and increase its viscosity. You would be better off using a slightly heavier oil without the Lucas. It's asinine that Lucas can charge $10/quart for this stuff when the best synthetic oils (Mobil 1, etc) run about $5/quart. If you insist on Royal Purple, just go heavier if that seems to help with the rattle.

NAPA does sell really good oil filters though. Their Silver, Gold, and Platinum lines are all made by Wix are are all top notch. I think the Platinum has a different filtering media, and both the Gold and Platinum have a silicone anti-drainback valve (the Silver has a rubber one) but are otherwise similar.

Back