Timing Tensioner? Confused.

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I hear a lot of talk about the timing chain tensioner for the 1997- 2000 V6 Sohc and the plastic guide rings. I did have the recall done for the intake gaskets but I am not sure if they did the Timing tensioner. They did put the Sticker on the cowl with the recall code.

My question is what is the effect of not replacing the timing tensioner or the plastic rings? How will I know if something is wrong and how dangerous is it if it is not fixed?

Everything appears OK with my '98- it has 134k mi on the clock. I have taken very good care of it thus far. Only remote symptom I think is a slight diesel sound for about 1/5th second, when it is first started in the morning, then it goes away for the rest of the day. It does not happen every day though. Also at times in the summer when I accelerated a bit from a stop or around corners I thought I heard an exhaust leak type sound- Maybe the tensioner issue, though the exh manifold gaskets could be shot or pipes rusted after all that New England milage. I do plan on having an exhaust put on soon.

Any help is appreciated. :D

The easiest way to tell if you have the new front tensioner is to look for it. Right behind and to the drivers side of the CTS is the tensioner for the drivers side chain. That "diesel" sound could be the loose chain hitting the inside of the cylinder head. Mine was really loud when I got to digging and found the 00M12 kit. I just finished the repair on it. It is much better! Check out the post a little farther down "New to board... Just got the...." that is mine... "Howard" posted a link that goes to a very detailed listing you really should check out... I seriously recommend doing the 00M12 kit ASAP...

Best wishes

Good advice, I know the manifold gaskets where done because I did have that idling problem. Does not appear though that the Timing Tentioner was done. What problems does the timing chain tensioner present? Besides the silly noises??

Back