• Register Today It's free!

lynchy wa

Down Under Beer Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 LIMITED V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first one appears to be for an IRS(Timken DRK-311AMK)
and the second might be for a SA(Timken DRK-311MK). At least that's what the title of the ad makes it sound like?

The only issue I see is that when you do the compatibility chart, both work?

I'm going to research really quick and if anything, send a message to the seller and let him know what you drive and ask what is the difference between each kit.

Edit-

Went here with no luck- http://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/#

You might want to go to www.rockauto.com and search there. Might find a better price on what you are looking for;)

Thanks mate, the vehicle compatability really threw me! I'll head on over to RockAuto and see what I can find. Thanks again for the help!

I thought the internals of the IRS diff is the same as the internals of the solid axle diff.

RockAuto have a better price and better shipping quote (and thats before entering the discount code). If they do have the same internals then this might get interesting.

One way to confirm if the internals are the same is go to fordparts.com and look in the parts catalog for the parts of a pre-3rd gen explorer and a 3rd gen...look at rear differential parts and start comparing part numbers.

We know that at least the case and ring and pinion are the same.

Seeing as it will probably take about 3 week's to get here I went with the part marked for an IRS arse. $70 more but what price do you pay for the mechanic to get it up in the air, pull out the diff and ring you up saying this is the wrong kit? Re install the diff, post the part back, re order the right part then wait another 3 week's then back to the diff joint? I may have been bitten but bugger it.

Whew, thank's for taking the time mate!!! I ordered the kit yesterday so you've made me very happy. Gracias again Sir.:):thumbsup:

The arb is on it's way from Iowa, the timken kit from Rock auto is on it's way and all I need is the compressor (next payday in 2 week's) then it's off to the diff place. Should have my arse locked in a month or so, then off to the testing ground!

Attachments

• IMG_2545.jpg
    IMG_2545.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 289

Great! are you doing the work on your differential yourself?

Sweet as:thumbsup:. Looking forward to your write up:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great! are you doing the work on your differential yourself?

Yeah I plan to. The rear shouldn't be too bad I am not as confident about the front. Space seems a little tight up in there and I think it might be pretty tough without the special super expensive ford halfshaft removal tool . I am going to start with the back so if the front defeats me I'll just remove the front driveshaft and go 2WD until I can revisit it later or get it into a shop :D

Yeah I plan to. The rear shouldn't be too bad I am not as confident about the front. Space seems a little tight up in there and I think it might be pretty tough without the special super expensive ford halfshaft removal tool . I am going to start with the back so if the front defeats me I'll just remove the front driveshaft and go 2WD until I can revisit it later or get it into a shop :D

looking forward to a write up:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back