Tim's '93 Sport | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tim's '93 Sport

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

VW 1.9l BEW TDI, stage 4 Malone tune, Garret VNT17 Turbo
TD Conversions trans adapter
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
3D printed ash tray switch panel
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer boost and EGT gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Custom auxiliary/upfitter circuits
A/C delete

Future Modifications
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

3890FE78-7004-430D-B640-2BF81F81F30C_1_201_a.jpeg

73FC2F84-0789-4FC5-B8EB-24B076436324_1_201_a.jpeg

09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice!!
The rubber bladder stays after you fill the fluid up to the line

Regular mercon/dex for your 5 speed and t case, you do NOT need or want to use Mercon V

Cant wait to see what you do with the console!!

Thank you!

I was tempted to get rid of my console, but just couldn’t bring myself to do it!

Good day indeed !!

Curious to the placement spot of the resi. They are mounted firmly to the inner fender, by the cruise control vac tank, and that spot on the firewall you have it at now, doesn't that section flex easily?

As far as bleeding a "Pre-Bled" unit... Just remove the resi cap, crack open the bleeder a smidge, and gravity bleed it slowly at the trans for a few minutes. That's it, done.

For my manual swap, the electrical was the hardest part and took the longest. It was in a 2nd gen, so was a little different combining job 1 & 2 harnesses together to make a starting circuit. Hopefully yours is simple and straight forward and might only need a jumper to get crank & no harness re-pins to get spark.

Yay for Mom! That will help a bunch. I had one shipped from overseas from Redline Goods for mine. (They used to be a vendor here) Took months to get it, and they made it wrong. Ugh.

Glad to have a good day again!

The spot it’s in seems pretty solid. I think that’s where they mount from the factory maybe? I could be wrong though. There were two dimples on the panel that lined up with the reservoir holes!

Awesome! Sounds nice and easy to get this thing bled then! Thank you!

I think I have the wiring figured out, but I want to make sure I get it together before I put that information here in case I’ve got it wrong. And luckily no repining of harnesses from what I can tell. Seems like I can just jump two wires and it’ll work.

Ugh yah that’s the worst when a part you wait on isn’t right. The shift boot will be a nice touch with my console!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Day 10:

Didn't take a lot of pictures today. Ignored everything else and got some work done! It's basically drivable...I'll get there:D

Started the day out with getting the manual wired in. Still haven't tested to make sure it works, but I'm pretty confident with it. I'll post what I did once I know it works.

Then moved onto filling up the transmission with fluid and changing the transfer case fluid. When the transfer case came out I managed to spill half of the fluid in it on me. It was due for a fluid change anyway!

Next, got the slave bled. Thanks again Gman! It was super easy to bleed the slave.

Then the Y pipe went back in. Was a bit of a struggle getting the O2 sensors plugged in, but I got it!

The hardest part of the day was getting the two busted studs out of the catalytic converter. Ground the heads off and had to knock them out with a punch and sledge. First one popped right out. Second one, eh, not so much. Fought with it for a bit before it came out. Ended up replacing the two busted studs with some stainless bolts. After that got the muffler mounted back up.

Moved onto the inside. Got the dash back together. Got the carpet cut for the shifter and the shifter in. Here's the two pictures I took!

7CF5FA0F-E4D6-41D0-A07C-99D2AFD24F70.jpeg
763E271D-C215-454C-BA17-5D9C741EA3F1.jpeg

That’s where I stopped for the day. Like I said it’s basically drivable, but didn’t get the seats in...

I set my center console in next to the shifter to get an idea of how I need to modify it. Looking at it, it’ll clear my CB! I’ll need to rearrange the panel that has my switches and gauges on it. One gauge goes away since it was for the auto trans temp. And I’ll need to rearrange the power distribution panels inside. I also won’t need to cut a huge hole in the bottom. Since the plastic outer part of the floor boot sits flush with the top of the carpet, I only need to cut a hole big enough for the shifter!

So, the trans swap might be mostly done on Saturday after work! If not Saturday then either Sunday or Monday:D

You are going to love it with the 5 speed, there is so much more power and control with the clutch!!

Makes driving fun again

You are going to love it with the 5 speed, there is so much more power and control with the clutch!!

Makes driving fun again

Oh I can’t wait to drive it again! When I bought my Fiesta for a daily I got it with a 5 speed. That’s when I knew the Explorer needed to be a 5 speed. Autos kill too much power for me.

Awesome job sir. Looks stock just with out the Shift boot. :)

Thank you sir!!

Day 11:

Explorer is 98% done!! My dad, who I work for on Saturdays, told me to get the Explorer finished. Got the interior back in and took it for a few laps around the neighborhood. Runs and drives great! I love it even more now! Definitely more power than the auto had!

So trans wiring... it’s works! Here’s what I did on the 5 pin harness:
I did cut the plug apart and separate all the wires to make this easy.
For the NSS jump the Pink to the Red/Light blue wire.
For the reverse lights the Purple/orange and Black/pink wires go to the switch in the transmission.
And if you have electric shift 4x4 ground the Red/white wire. If you don’t have electric shift you won’t have this wire.

I didn’t touch the 3 wire plug for the solenoids at all. Just tucked it up out of the way. It hasn’t given me a check engine light or acted weird. If it does then I will find a solution later on for that.

Now I say 98% done because I haven’t quite finished my center console.
893FD532-DD2E-4C5A-A648-B294AAD939AD.jpeg
57BDD9C9-E201-4E40-BAB8-B9BD9314DF04.jpeg

As you can see, everything is wired in. I can’t reuse the old piece of ABS plastic I had on top. So I need to order another sheet and make a new face plate with cutouts in the right spots. The switches will be off to either side of the shifter. The water temp gauge I have is just sitting in there for now, but I don’t think it’ll be staying in the console. Probably going to get a gauge pod for the A pillar. Just a little bit easier that way and it’ll be in line of sight.

So I’m gonna drive the Explorer for a few days! Need to get the garage cleaned up and everything put away before my classes start on Wednesday:eek:

Sweeeet! Congrats sir!! It does make it fun on the road, and the trails. Trails can be tricky until you get the hang of it, so be careful at first.

Manual tip.... When going uphill, do not stop if at all possible. Definitely don't kill the engine while stopped, on a hill, and climbing over an obstacle.
Advice for that situation.... You have 2 feet, and 3 pedals. Get a hand throttle!! :D

I’ll have to keep that in mind! Don’t want to be wrecking this thing. Can’t wait to get on the trails again!

The hand throttle is a really good idea! I’ve seen them before on Jeeps mostly. But for some reason hasn’t thought about getting one. Is there one that you recommend?

Most just use a bicycle hand brake. I used a bike shifter on mine. It had a dual click shifter on it. One lever was for up shift, and the other down. Each click raised or lowered the rpms by 500 or so, and held it. It was a shimano 10 speed.

Mounting it on the shifter is a good spot if you have room for it, which 1st gens do. 2nd gens dash is in the way for that, so I used the stock auto gear shifter on the column. Works well either place.

They do come in handy when in a hairy situation. Lol

Do a quick search for them here, and you will see how others have done it, and how the cable is attached to the throttle.

The spot it’s in seems pretty solid. I think that’s where they mount from the factory maybe? I could be wrong though. There were two dimples on the panel that lined up with the reservoir holes!

Yes it is indeed the first gen's that's where the resi was mounted from the factory

Practice off road without the hand throttle first, see if its something you need.....just make sure you have a good starter :)

Yes it is indeed the first gen's that's where the resi was mounted from the factory

Thanks for the correction. I had believed they was all mounted to the inner fender, and that spot on the dash was a thin flexible cover plate for the firewall.

My brain hurts after trying to think back that far, last time I turned a wrench on a Gen I was a while ago now!!

Looks like we need to find you some new steering column shrouds from a 5 speed! And unless that electrical tape holds up can grab the shift indicator blank at the same time.

Using Standard in the Rocks like we have around here does require finesse. Knowing your vehicle and where the clutch grabs. I did Chinamens Gulch in a Standard and it can be tricky. The clutch how ever was REALLY good could almost hold it till I got off brake to get the gas peddle. Also the Gears were 4.88s and a good transfer case. Just have to get use to driving it compared to an Auto. To different animals out in the trails. But for me and my old Army worn knees I want an Auto.

Most just use a bicycle hand brake. I used a bike shifter on mine. It had a dual click shifter on it. One lever was for up shift, and the other down. Each click raised or lowered the rpms by 500 or so, and held it. It was a shimano 10 speed.

Mounting it on the shifter is a good spot if you have room for it, which 1st gens do. 2nd gens dash is in the way for that, so I used the stock auto gear shifter on the column. Works well either place.

They do come in handy when in a hairy situation. Lol

Do a quick search for them here, and you will see how others have done it, and how the cable is attached to the throttle.

I like the idea of the bike shifter! Definitely cheaper than the kits I’m seeing online. I’ll have to look around for a setup that I like. Maybe an excuse to upgrade the shifters on my mountain bike:D

My brain hurts after trying to think back that far, last time I turned a wrench on a Gen I was a while ago now!!

Looks like we need to find you some new steering column shrouds from a 5 speed! And unless that electrical tape holds up can grab the shift indicator blank at the same time.

I’ll definitely have to try it out before I spring for a hand throttle. Gotta get used to it on the road first!

Yah the column shrouds and blank plate are on my list next time I go to the junk yard. I do question how long the tape will hold up. Looks good though!
F0C8F373-2AE0-4431-AB8A-7A7030EC7612.jpeg

But if y’all come across the shrouds and blank plate and they’re in good shape, let me know! I’m definitely interested in them. Goal is to make it look like it came from the factory.

Using Standard in the Rocks like we have around here does require finesse. Knowing your vehicle and where the clutch grabs. I did Chinamens Gulch in a Standard and it can be tricky. The clutch how ever was REALLY good could almost hold it till I got off brake to get the gas peddle. Also the Gears were 4.88s and a good transfer case. Just have to get use to driving it compared to an Auto. To different animals out in the trails. But for me and my old Army worn knees I want an Auto.

I’m curious to see how I do first time out in the rocks! Hoping it’ll go well! Maybe we need to plan a trip;) I do know that at some point gears and lockers are in the plans. But that’s not gonna happen for a bit!

Drove the Explorer for a little over a week! It’s awesome! The swap is definitely worth it. More power and I can actually keep up with traffic again! Gotta figure out which project I want to do next:D

The Explorer has a coolant leak now:banghead: I can’t really tell where is coming from though. There’s no spots on the radiator where it would be leaking from. Coolant is coming out clean and bright green, so I don’t think it’s coming from the block. My lower radiator hose looks like it has a small bubble in it, so I think I’m going to replace the radiator hoses and heater core hoses and see if it goes away. They are about due to be changed. That’s my best guess at this point.

a bubble in a hose is no good get that thing swapped out
With a flashlight and the truck running you cannot spot the coolant leak?
Around the thermo housing, timing cover, or any of the water pump or heater hoses....after a engine replacement its usually something simple like a clamp

Yah I crawled around under it for a while and couldn’t find where it’s coming from. I can see that it’s been dripping onto the engine crossmember. And from there it drips onto my steering linkage and to the ground. I could see a little coolant on the bottom of the oil pan, but anything above that it’s lost in the oil from my pan gasket leak.

There is some build up of dry coolant where the upper hose goes to the thermostat housing. So it could be coming from there. But I don’t see a wet spot under the housing. But I suppose it could just be dripping down to the crossmember from there.

It’s also been kind of intermittent of how much coolant it leaks. Sometimes it’s a small spot and sometimes bigger.

Back