Tim's '93 Sport | Page 23 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Tim's '93 Sport

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

Hi all. My name's Tim. i live in Colorado Springs, CO.
I've been on the forum for a few months now and figured it's time to make my self known.
I have a 1993 Explorer Sport.
My parents bought the Ex brand new back in '93. When I turned 16 and got my license my parents gave it to me.
Now time for some pictures

6912facf-07b5-40dd-81fa-99e9e17ef75d_zpscluxfgai.jpg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

e994bc6b-bbad-4534-b3c5-f03651048bf2_zpsmcuj14cn.jpg
09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
I would love to see a TDI swap. My dad still has his 99 jetta he bought new. TDI, 5 speed, 300,000 miles and counting. I used to work on Linde forklifts with these engines in them. The 1.9L is the one to have.

I read about a kit to put those engines in J**ps. An explorer with one would be super cool.

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Yep what I've been reading is the 1999.5 and up 1.9L are the way to go! Not huge powerhouses by any means, but can throw some performance parts on with a tune and re-gear (in the plans anyway) and it'll do exactly what I want.

This is the kit that makes it possible: VW 1.9 2.0L TDI to Ford 2.8, 2.9, 4.0L Adapter Kit
They make kits for Jeeps and a handful of other vehicles.

Found a couple swap threads for Rangers over on the TDI Club forum. Definitely an involved swap, but doesn't seem anymore difficult than swapping a 5.0 in.

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
Yep what I've been reading is the 1999.5 and up 1.9L are the way to go! Not huge powerhouses by any means, but can throw some performance parts on with a tune and re-gear (in the plans anyway) and it'll do exactly what I want.

This is the kit that makes it possible: VW 1.9 2.0L TDI to Ford 2.8, 2.9, 4.0L Adapter Kit
They make kits for Jeeps and a handful of other vehicles.

Found a couple swap threads for Rangers over on the TDI Club forum. Definitely an involved swap, but doesn't seem anymore difficult than swapping a 5.0 in.
Yeah 90HP is all she has out of the box. But those engines are really durable. For it's size its got tons of torque. The timing belts are the Achilles heel. Keep them new and happy and you'll have few issues. They are most definitely interference engines. I've done many a head change on those engines because of refused maintenance.

The forklifts i serviced were in a steel plant and ran 24/7. Some machines amassed as many as 30000 run time hours in 5 years. There is a rough estimate of 35 city miles to 1 run time hour in industrial equipment. Thats roughly one million miles. I was doing timing belts once a month on those machines!

timtimtimajim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Yeah 90HP is all she has out of the box. But those engines are really durable. For it's size its got tons of torque. The timing belts are the Achilles heel. Keep them new and happy and you'll have few issues. They are most definitely interference engines. I've done many a head change on those engines because of refused maintenance.

The forklifts i serviced were in a steel plant and ran 24/7. Some machines amassed as many as 30000 run time hours in 5 years. There is a rough estimate of 35 city miles to 1 run time hour in industrial equipment. Thats roughly one million miles. I was doing timing belts once a month on those machines!
Good thing it’ll be easy to service in the engine bay of the Explorer! Probably be able to sit in there with the engine:laugh:

With hours/miles like that I’d say that sells me completely on a TDI swap. Just want something that’ll keep running