Tim's '93 Sport | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tim's '93 Sport

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

VW 1.9l BEW TDI, stage 4 Malone tune, Garret VNT17 Turbo
TD Conversions trans adapter
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
3D printed ash tray switch panel
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer boost and EGT gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Custom auxiliary/upfitter circuits
A/C delete

Future Modifications
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

3890FE78-7004-430D-B640-2BF81F81F30C_1_201_a.jpeg

73FC2F84-0789-4FC5-B8EB-24B076436324_1_201_a.jpeg

09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a whole lot new with the Explorer lately. Just waiting for the meetup with some Explorers here in June to roll around!

I do have some small projects planned to tackle this summer since I’ve got some time off of school. Hopefully I can get to all of them before I go back in the fall to finish my degree!

I did replace my daily driver Fiesta with something a little more exciting though!

5C574246-5843-4A98-8F5C-FAAD1660F731.jpeg
E1013FE7-69FA-4C7E-8700-B72D54FC523C.jpeg
8B24ECEB-AC51-4557-B93B-E2330CB16499.jpeg
93BA2524-C6ED-4B8F-A02F-4CF59BC1E50A.jpeg

It’s a 2016 VW GTI with a 6 speed. Only has 27,000 miles on it. I’ve always really liked these cars especially after having one as a rental in Germany. Already starting to make a list of go fast parts for the GTI:D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I know I know... you’re probably thinking there’s something wrong with me:crazy: I’m sure I’ll change my mind another 14,000 times before I settle on something!

I am still considering 33’s as a possibility just because it would be nice to have a bit more tire. I wish Goodyear offered the Duratracs in a 33x10.5 size or even 32x11.5. If they did I’d probably already have 32’s or 33’s. I’m stubborn and don’t want to run anything other than Duratracs ha! And part of me just doesn’t want to get rid of the stock wheels. It’s that whole sentimental thing with my Explorer...

I’d say there’s two reasons I don’t want to change the Explorer much. One is the sentimental thing. Being in the family since new and with how clean it is make modifications hard sometimes. I do plan on eventually restoring this thing completely, but that won’t be for a long time though! And the other reason is I just want to be different! Hence why I want to keep the TTB. And some of my reasoning for wanting to stay small tire. I know I’m kinda crazy, but I just want to prove how capable a small rig can be!

I will say the James Duff kit has been awesome with axle droop. It did come with new bigger coil buckets and longer shock mounts. I have been thinking of upgrading from the Duff shocks to something a little nicer though.

The big thing I’m lacking is the body and undercarriage protection, limit straps, and better bump stops. Thinking I can tackle some of those items this summer when classes are out!

I can understand wanting to keep the mintyness of your explorer, I really wanted to do that with mine, and now my inner fenders are pounded, rockers and fenders cut 40s and atlas 5 to 1.

ever thought about just pulling your minty fenders and run a set of fiberglass ones painted to match?

obviously different terrain dictates different approaches, my explorer was never going to compete with toyotas in the snow up here without SAS/big tires but I often wish I had a very mild rig that was twin locked and could do impressive things with.

I can understand wanting to keep the mintyness of your explorer, I really wanted to do that with mine, and now my inner fenders are pounded, rockers and fenders cut 40s and atlas 5 to 1.

ever thought about just pulling your minty fenders and run a set of fiberglass ones painted to match?

obviously different terrain dictates different approaches, my explorer was never going to compete with toyotas in the snow up here without SAS/big tires but I often wish I had a very mild rig that was twin locked and could do impressive things with.

You know the thought of fiberglass has crossed my mind before. Especially when the plan is to have a paint job at some point fiberglass would be a good thing to do then. It’s something I’ll definitely have to keep thinking about!

You know the thought of fiberglass has crossed my mind before. Especially when the plan is to have a paint job at some point fiberglass would be a good thing to do then. It’s something I’ll definitely have to keep thinking about!
if you get a chance check out Jim hyatts explorer on facebook or IG he has the exact same paint scheme as my sport and he has finberglass fenders and SAS, doesnt look to bad.

if you get a chance check out Jim hyatts explorer on facebook or IG he has the exact same paint scheme as my sport and he has finberglass fenders and SAS, doesnt look to bad.

I know which one you’re talking about! I’d have to say he has one of the cleanest Explorers I’ve ever seen!

Knocked out the first project on my list! When I built my swingout tire carrier I was never super happy with where the spare tire hung. So today I moved the tire down and as close to the swingout as possible. I think it looks a lot better and I can actually see out the back again!

DFB025EF-6CF7-4711-BD15-0218DADDEE09.jpeg
4A13D360-A88C-45BB-9CCD-088094214866.jpeg

Some other items on my list to try and complete before September:
-Stop pin for the swingout
-Tie hitch receiver fully to the frame
-Rock sliders (involves some rust repair on the rockers)
-New U-bolts with skid plates

Had an awesome time this past weekend wheeling with some other Explorer friends!

The Explorer did awesome as usual. No overheating on the road or trail. In fact water temp never got above 190* and was typically hovering between 180-185* even on long steep grades. Still super happy with the 5 speed on the trail!
A56E52F8-D7A3-4741-AE38-A13ECB2B286D.jpeg
2BFB54A5-0244-49DC-9699-80C97C21A845.jpeg
70441493-D786-413F-8215-B8006AC01A33.jpeg

@WormsExplorer in his Durango trying to fit in:p
3AE6019D-BBE2-42D0-82B8-3D360B04F5EE.jpeg
C1863D4A-C252-491E-9BA7-3F2D89E44395.jpeg

@Mjm12000
BCBCAB84-DFB6-49D3-A9C9-F57E02CFFD3B.jpeg

@Theoffroadexplorer
FF4EAD5B-4E7B-43F3-A29F-EFE20B14E523.jpeg
FB243160-A0DD-4E48-8F09-CEF347455624.jpeg
D682D589-756B-4ED0-89D0-9DF63650072A.jpeg

Jeeps invaded the explorer meet! Lol

Heard someone rolled or flopped?

Jim making everything look super easy as usual.

Glad your rig did you right, and provided you with a good time. Hope to see you in Ouray in a couple months.

You have a really nice Gen I Explorer. They pick up where the Bronco II's Left off. FoMoCo had a plan when they started making the Explorer and IMO was the fact that they were coming out with the 4 door. I think that they were concerned that no one would want to but a 4 door Bronco II. Keep up the good work and you don't often see 27 yo Explorers in that good of shape!

what is sticking out of the hood on the black truck? Looks like power steering reservoir?
Who's Rzr? LOL
Is it just me or is the Durango the king of "no flex at all" front suspension

Jeeps invaded the explorer meet! Lol

Heard someone rolled or flopped?

Jim making everything look super easy as usual.

Glad your rig did you right, and provided you with a good time. Hope to see you in Ouray in a couple months.

Oh yah they did lmao

Yep on Sunday, Barry (the red sport) laid his over on Saran Wrap. Sounds like everyone was okay though!

I’m hoping to make it to Ouray! That week might be my first week back at school, so we’ll have to see how that all plays out

what is sticking out of the hood on the black truck? Looks like power steering reservoir?
Who's Rzr? LOL
Is it just me or is the Durango the king of "no flex at all" front suspension

Yep that would be Jim’s power steering reservoir. He just did a full hydro setup. If you look close the the whole intake manifold sticks out of the hood a bit!

Not sure who the RZR is lmao. But I think they stopped because they wanted to watch Jim!

Nothing too exciting with the Explorer lately. Replaced the MAF and fuel pump over the weekend. Both were original 190,000 mile parts:oops: Runs A LOT better now. Butt dyno says it has a bit more power and feels less sluggish. The Explorer has been idling high on cold starts. Code shows IAT out of range. That'll be here next week!

So just some basic maintenance items for now. Also decided that I'm going to cut out the rusty rockers and replace them with square tubing. So that might be the next project.

Tim look what came home with me tonight. :cool: Bought her for $1,000. Runs great needs a little help (what Explorer Doesn't LOL)
136375349_445132903511630_5738029930402871351_n.jpg

136494891_882602375908869_3297168231144984194_n.jpg

Dude I just went thru this entire thread and wow. I’m speechless! The transformation is real!! And she’s an absolute beauty! I just bought a red 93 Explorer sport from an auction and I’m looking to have fun with her once she’s ready for the trails. I’ve only been in Colorado for about 2 years now with my wife, we live north of Denver. Hoping for any insight people have with these ex’s. I requested to join the Facebook page listed like 20 pages ago (creepy right?) lol hoping to meet some people and have fun out there!

Dude I just went thru this entire thread and wow. I’m speechless! The transformation is real!! And she’s an absolute beauty! I just bought a red 93 Explorer sport from an auction and I’m looking to have fun with her once she’s ready for the trails. I’ve only been in Colorado for about 2 years now with my wife, we live north of Denver. Hoping for any insight people have with these ex’s. I requested to join the Facebook page listed like 20 pages ago (creepy right?) lol hoping to meet some people and have fun out there!
Thanks man! The Explorer has been quite the project for sure! But there’s also a lot more stuff planned for it too, hopefully starting this year.

Glad to see another Explorer owner near by. I think you’re talking about Off Road Ford Explorers on Facebook? I took over as admin of that group sometime last year. We usually do a Colorado Springs meet sometime in June. Hopefully you can join us!

Back