tinted tail lights, how to | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tinted tail lights, how to

rileyrs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
i tinted my tails a while ago, they came out really well, so here is how i did it.

first i bought this stuff from a local hobby shop, its made for rc car painting, but works perfect for this, trust me, i think its better than vht night shades.

tails6.jpg

tails5.jpg

so anyway, remove the tail lights, clean then really well, dont skip this step our the outcome will suck. i cleaned them in the sink with dish soap 3 times, make sure there is no wax or anything left on them, just the plastic surface. i didnt wet sand, i suppose you could, but i didnt, and it worked fine.
i decided i wanted to cover the the reverse lights so i put a little masking tape over them at the start, and i like how it came out, i think it looks cool with the reverse lights still white.

then i did three thin coats of the rc294 tint, leaving it 1 hr dry time between coats, and then a fourth SUPER light coat, just to fill in uneven spots. then let dry for 24 hrs.
after that i did two coats of krylon clear coat, and let dry for another 24 hrs.
then i put them back on the car, and immediately washed and waxed the car, making sure i got wax over the tials to keep them covered.

here is what it came out to be, this is essentially 3 coats, and its pretty dark, but 4 or 5 would have been ok, i think enough of light would still get through.

before:
car3.jpg

after:

tails1.jpg

tails2.jpg

tails3.jpg

this is with the running lights on only, not even brake lights, so as you can see it shines through well.
tails4.jpg

also if someone wanted to go darker, you could easily tine them all the way black, then put l.e.d. bulbs in their to replace the stock ones, since they would be much brighter.

if you want more pics or info let me know.

How long did this last? Not saying I don't think it would, as I think it would last longer than the film out there on the market.....

Back