• Register Today It's free!

Tinting Windows

Xplor

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EB V8
Hey folks! I need a little help about getting the front doors tint to match the factory tint (back doors-tailgate) I went to a local tint shop and ask if person if he could match the tint like the back. He told me he could but it is illegal too have a dark tint up front. He was suggested that I go with the 32% charcoal color tint made by Solar Guard. But it seem too light for my taste. He showed me the dark tint which is real close to the factory tint...it was someting between 14-16% I know there is this one other shop(they carry 3M brand) that is willing to do the tint for me, but I will not get a recept, since it illegal where I live. Now my question to anybody who got there windows tinted what brand of tint and the "%" you have on the front? I want to get the best film that resist scraches and wear better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine done with Llumar 30% black metalized tint. I have a 95 with the goofy amber tint on the rear glass. I went with the tint I got because it almost has the same reflective quality that the rear glass does, not the color though, but it was the best I could do. My tint is slightly illegal, so I never got a receipt either, but I have never had any trouble in the 2 years that I've had it.

ya, we've been throgh this one many many times. And still, my front windows are untinted. You can do what stephenS did, his look good, but if you're looking for an exact match yer gonna be hard pressed. From what I've gathered no one has been able to do this yet.

goodluck

Thanks Stephen, I'll put Llumar 30% on my list. Yeah I can see what you are talking about the factory tint had a sorta relective tint to it. I probably would get the whole truck tinted, but it might be little difficult to see at night like backing up. Would tinting over the factory tint get rid of the reflective part from it? Darkfox, you seem kinda tempted like me. I always want thing to be the way I want it. Why not just go for it? LOL! Anybody else got any suggestions or pic, then I would like to see. This definately help me narrow things down.

No problem Xplor. I see you have a 2000. Well, you are in luck, because you don't have the goofy amber tint like me. You have straight black tint, which is much easier to match. But you may not have to go limo tint to get it to look good. Go back to a tint shop and ask to see a swatch of 30% and 20% and 15% tint. It might be close enough to match the rears where it won't look silly, but still not be so black as to attract attention from the cops. Unless they check the windows in your area, you will not have a problem (I roll my front windows down when I go to inspection stations). Also, if you already have the black factory tint on the rear, I would advise against tinting over that. That stuff is dark enough and any tint you put behind it will not effect the way it looks from the outside, only, like you said, hamper you ability to see from the inside.

Thanks again Stephen, I never notice they changed the factory tinting shade. I used to have a '92 model and got the front doors tint with so called "bronze" shade, which kinda looked weird from the factory tint. Like i said with the reflective part. I am not to worried about cops pulling me over. Since my parents car is really dark like 15% and has no factory tint, had it on there around 5 years already with no hassle what so ever. I'll just got find a place that a better quantity of tint choices.

No problem Xplor. If you aren't worried about the cops, then just find a GOOD tint shop to put the dark stuff of the front. What I mean by GOOD is a shop that uses quality film, does good work, and then stands behind it. The shop that did mine was like this. They used Llumar tint, offered a lifetime warranty, the man did nice work and did not give me a receipt because my tint is technically illegal. Therefore I have no proof that he did it. Well, a month later when a few of the bubbles that were supposed to go away didn't go away, I took it back to him and he did the job again free of charge. Good luck with your efforts!!!

I just got mine tinted earlier today, I told them to do the legal limit all the way around, I have no idea what it is but it has a metallic look when the sun hits it just right, it looks pretty cool, I got a reciept and have to go back monday so they can smooth out the water spots, costed me $279
just my .02

Black 20%

Hey guys,
I had the guy come out to my house and put Dark Black 20% on all windows, including the ones with the factory. They are darker than the front windows, but the black colors look the same pretty much. Just thought i'd share that. See ya

Im in the same boat!

I also want to get mine tinted "illegally".
The front windows pretty much have no tint and the rear and backseat windows have the factory tint. When you go over the factory tint does it make it where no one can see in from the outside? I notice when I will press the lock button at night and it turns on the inside lights you can see right into the truck from all of the windows.
Also, how much does it cost you guys to have it done "illegally"?
I can't really remember the cost one a previous car and the shade was legal.

It is going to be very difficult to match the tint of your rear windows because that tint is in the glass and is not a laminate. You can ahve the two tints next to each other and even with the same % it will look different. I would just say get a 50% on the front then you will never be hassled by cops and it will look good.

it costed me $279 to have it tinted the legal limit so maybe a little more than that, , in the back
I can't see in unless i press my face to the window, I also have the factory tint + my new tint
What do you guys think of the colored tints (red, blue glass) A couple of cars have them around here, I think they're kinda stupid because they don't block any sunlight and you can see right through them

Update......

I finally got it done. I got Llumar Tint. The back door - tailgate has the 20%(model: PP20) The front doors has the 30%(model: ATR30). It cost me $165.00 It came out great. The front is legel of course. Standing outside on a sunny day the combination of these tinted blended in great. No factory tint glare, since the back tint cover the glare. I called quite of few tint places and see what they had to offer and went to them if they sound good. I went to 2-3 different places. The place where I got mine done, was great. I told him that I either want to get my front 2 doors to match or close to match, but I would have that slight factory glare no matter what. He told me if I wanted to get things to blend in then I would be better off tinting the whole thing. He cutted a few samples and put it the glass. Then I looked from the angle in the sunlight. I was happy the way it looked, so had the whole thing done. During the day you can see in the inside, if your outside, with the back you can slightly see thru inside.

As for colored tints...well personally, I would not get them. I can't imagine what would it like to have a blue or red tinted at night...LOL!

I guess that's the new import thing, I seen a red acura with the red tint, I think its just too much red though
I'd like to see it on an explorer :)

Good decisions Xplor. I'm glad that you are happy with the final results.

As for the colored tints, I would think that they are for only effect purposes, not to block sunlight or prying eyes. You will usually see the tint the same color, or a complimentary color to the car's body color. It's kjust for the look.

Xplor -
You say you had the whole explorer tinted? Even the backseat doors and the cargo door? Did they take the original tint off or just tint over it? Any pics?
Grant-P

Fantasymon, my whole truck is tinted....front doors, the back doors, the cargo area, and the tailgate. The back thru the tailgate has a factory tint(privacy glass) into it already, so therefore is permanant. They place just tinted over the factory tint. The reason why I did this because I don't want any glare from the factory tint. If I just tinted the front doors, you would look somewhat odd in certain angle off the sunlight. Fantasymon...I notice you have the XLS model, does it have the back fatory tint? The reason I say that bacause I notice most XLS explorers don't have factory tint. If that is in your case then, you are lucky. No pics yet..soon though. I just bought a digital camera, however the software requires Windows 98...I guess am old fashion with the Windows 95. Soon as I get that update and get all of my other projects done with my truck, then you will see it.

What's an XLS? Only heard of XLT

Hey man,
Just wondrin what an XLS explorer is. I have only heard of the XLTs, Eddie Bauers and Limiteds. Maybe they just aren't in my area?

xls

Hey-
TFrshpwdr2k-
The XLS is the "lower" model explorer. It looks the exact same as the xlt. Just the base. However mine came with everything except leather seats, sunroof, and overhead console which for several thousand less I can do without. I took off the "xls" emblem from the back and I am goin to go to a junkyard and take of the "xlt" of a wrecked one and put it on mine. Theres literally no way you can tell the difference and I saved several thousand which I am now putting some of it back into it to customize it. In about 2 weeks when I finish it will look better than any stock xlt and will be less. Sure I would love to have gotten the "loaded" model but I am also 19 so i couldnt really spend $27k+ on one. Oh yea it also came without foglights but I put some sweet CATZ in the empty fog light hole which look twice as good as the stock ones.

XPLOR- No mine is tinted just like the XLT.

Grant-P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice

Hey man, thats tight I didnt know that.
Do they make XLS's everywhere? I live up in Washington and I swear I have never seen one around here. Did they just start making them recently? Anyways, thanx for sharing the info.
Broderick

Back