Tip to remove broken orifice tube

firepop5

Reaction score
City, State
floral park ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
96 5.0
Replaced my compressor and accumulator today. New orifice tube came with kit, so I wanted to change that too. Grabbed the end with a pair of needle nose pliers, twisted and pulled. Top part broke off and portion from double o-rings down stayed stuck in bottom tube of evaporator. You could have heard me curse a mile away. I wasn't in the mood to remove or replace the evaporator, so a alternate had to be found. I went through my hardware buckets and found a lag bolt long enough to reach the broken piece and fat enough for the threads to catch inside of the broken piece of orifice tube like a bolt extractor. Screwed it in just enough to bite into the plastic and pulled broken portion out.

A/C is working great now and I'm a happy man

nice save!

96 5.0
Screwed it in just enough to bite into the plastic and pulled broken portion out.

A/C is working great now and I'm a happy man

Did you happen to put the extracted pieces back together to make sure you got all of it out? Hopefully it was a nice, clean break without chunks of plastic boating around in your system.

Got all of it. Very clean break where white plastic part met red plastic part. I blew compressed air through evaporator to be sure nothing was left to float around system.

Back